Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

I need help diagnosing a fire belly newt sickess

fbn

Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering if anyone can help me figure out the sickness a fire belly newt had at a pet store. It was missing its arm and it had white at the end. It was not like cotton, so it is not fungus right? Also, their was a white string at the end of the arm (that was missing). Is this sickness easily cureable with a low death rate? Is there a way to know if it is too late to save him? I'm wanting another fire belly, and I would love to get this one, but I do not want to get him\her and it dies. Also, what medications (if healable) do I use? Thanks!

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Re: I need help diagnosin a fire belly newt sickess

If it is already showing signs of illness at the pet store then definetly DO NOT buy it. Chances are 9 times out of 10 it is too late to save it. Your best option is to find a source of CB ones.

Lusiwarrior

Reaction score
Re: I need help diagnosin a fire belly newt sickess

If you saw C.orientalis presents the pet store such as this one can see, it is possible to save him but I did it! If so has my help! ;)

Attachments

• untitled1.bmp
    126.6 KB · Views: 121

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I would not buy it.
Flesh eating infections are very hard to cure, and anyway are a sign of an animal that has no inmune system left...
This is why the wild caught market makes me sick...

Lusiwarrior

Reaction score
I could not agree more with the azhael, the wild caught market also gives me chills! So here in Portugal not tell you ... However if we do not we save those poor unfortunates who will do, is not true! I bought 5 from a pet shop, 3 had been healthy, the other two had been mutilated! One died two days after the other, which is what is in the photo, is still here. However I had a hassle with it. But to see him now in full recovery did not want to know the satisfaction that I feel! But unfortunately we can not save everyone, is not so!

fbn

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I can't stand the wild caught market either. The newts are sick at the store all of the time.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I understand the urge to bring the poor things home and give them a good chance at a decent life. However, buying them only promotes more captures. Specially if the animals are ill, it´s particularly counterproductive to buy them for pitty...because the pet-shop owners will see how even ill, emaciated animals can still be sold for a profit.
It´s very hard...but i think the right thing to do is not to buy them...thus not encouraging the wild caught market and the pet-shops misstreatment.

Lusiwarrior

Reaction score
Yes this is really the best way not to promote such a market, however it costs to see such a helpless creatures dying! When I bought my thought was acting properly, it also was just in it for half a dozen days, but today it no longer would. This is a difficult question, but the best thing in my opinion is they do not buy anything, only the profit interests you!

fbn

Reaction score
Well, I am wanting to get another Fire belly soon, and they are the only petstore that sells them. I have emailed them and they said that most of them are wild caught. I do not have any other options, right?

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
You certainly do, there are people in this forum who are breeding this species and can sell you some. You would be getting healthy, well-fed animals, already accostumed to captivity.

Lusiwarrior

Reaction score
That's right, you can always look here at the forum by someone who has them! Should you not find C.orientalis, you can always choose another species, is a hypothesis! You have the Triturus for example that are also easy to maintain!

firefly

Reaction score
Buy some eggs from somebody - they can be shipped easily, are cheaper, and are fascinating to hatch out etc.,

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!