Question: Oily Film on top of water

Wayno

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi all

I have recently noticed an oily film that has started to develop on top of the water. About a week ago I removed all the substrate from the tank except a bunch of river rocks, a plant and the log. The river rocks are pilled up along one site of the tank so the other half is just glass.

I have 2 axies, 50 litre tank, mesh top so its not enclosed in anyway. Been feeding them bloodworms, but have recently started to mix it up with some pellets.

Anyone have this problem, or is this something natural?

It stems from something fouling your water, the film your seeing is more than likely proteins. I would bet that there are bits of bloodworms and pellets lodged in the cracks and crevices of your pebbles that are creating this problem. To remedy this just move the pebbles around when you siphon out water to make sure you get all the debris. In the meantime place some paper towels on the waters surface then lift up to help remove this film.

How do you feed your bloodworms? If you just pop the frozen cubes in the water you'll be adding a lot of protein to the water. If you can eliminate some of that protein you won't have the scum layer build up. At least not as fast.

Some of the bloodworm's cells explode during the freezing process and their contents leaks out into the water around them and they help hold the cube together. If you let the bloodworm cube defrost first and then give it a quick rinse with dechlorinated H2O (I use a small plankton net you can pick up at any pet store) and then feed you won't add as much protein to the water.

Feeding dishes or jars help make cleanup of uneaten bloodworms easier also.

It could be coming from the pellets you are feeding. Make sure your axies eat all the food that you give them and remove whatever is left after 10-15 mins. Make sure you do your 10-20 % percent water change every week. You can also turn off the filter for a few minutes to let the water rest. And then lay a papertowl on the surface and and slide it off to catch the oil slick on the surface before your water change.

Watch those cheeking Axies if you feed pellets, I recently found Sunny sitting over a stash of pellets I had just "fed" him. Watched them all go into his mouth etc lol

Thank you everyone for your help and advice. This such a great site.

Any thoughts on maybe feeding them from a small dish in the water.. easier to clean etc. Not sure on that one.....

The dish method is a wonderful way to feed. For the most part it keeps all the food items in one place which makes it easier to clean up the uneaten portions which in turn means it is easier to keep your water chemistry in check. Your salamanders will become conditioned to thinking that everything that goes in the dish is food which is a huge plus when your trying to introduce new food items.

Here is a picture of my C. orientalis hanging out, waiting on food. I use petri dish lids for my feeding stations.
greatwtehunter-albums-cynops-picture4002-cynops-orientalis-manning-their-feeding-station-darn-pigs.jpg

For a quick fix paper towels will soak up the oil film. In addition watch your foods, and water changes. Often times a simple airstone will help clear up the problem as well.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back