2 Axolotls in 10 gallon tank?

Mintee

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Rob
I currently have one axolotl in a 10 gallon (37 litre) tank.
I have been questioning myself, "would it be alright to buy a second one and put it in the same tank?"

So I figured, why not ask Caudata.org! ;)

My current axolotl is about 7 months old, and the one I've been looking at is probably a month or two younger (unsure.)
Would it be alright to room these two together? Or should I invest in a seperate tank?

Thanks!
Robby

Im not sure on litres etc, it would be better if you put the size of the tank. However saying that, my 2ft tank I had was 60 litres. So assuming yours is smaller (obviously) I would definently say no to adding another axolotl. If your tanks under 2ft I would be prepared to upgrade to a larger one anyway just for the one axie you have. They can reach up to a foot in length, so imagine how cramped under 2ft would be for the one axie.

As I say, im only assuming all this as i can only go by my 2ft (60 litre) tank that I had. If you could post the dimensions of your current tank, im sure someone will be able to give a more definite answer :)

I agree - you need another tank. If you aren't in a hurry, I'd recommend shopping for used tanks. Two axies would be quite happy in a 55-gallon;)

It is 1 1/2 ft length, 1 ft width, and 1 ft tall.

Those are not the dimensions of a "standard" US ten gallon tank. The tank you describe is much smaller than ten gallons. That tank size is suitable only for one adult axolotl.

Even if it was a true ten gallon tank, it would still be too small for two adults because:

When filled to the top edge it holds only about 9.75 US gallons of water (depending on manufacturer this varies a bit). By adding filtration, aeration, plants, rocks, hides and a substrate you are using up anywhere from one to four additional gallons of volume depending on your preferences in tank set-ups.

We shall go with a moderate estimate and say you have about 2.5 gallons worth of tank landscaping and life support equipment. So, 9.75 gallons minus 2.5 gallons leaves you with about 7.25 gallons of actual water for your pet. Take into account that no one fills their tank up brimming to the edge, you can safely estimate that your axolotl is left with roughly 6 to 7 gallons of actual water. This is about the bare minimum to support one. Add another axolotl to that and you are putting both animals in a very small space risking both animal's health.

I agree with the others. It is better to save up and get a larger tank first, then get additional pets later. Otherwise you are setting yourself and your pets up for heartbreak.

A rule of thumb is 10 gallons of water per adult axolotl. Since axolotls grow to adult size quickly you should count on a tank that would hold adults. Xtra high tanks don't count. A 20 gallon xtra high counts the same as a 10 gallon since it has the same size foot print. For 2 axolotls you should have at least a standard 20 gallon tank with good biological filtration.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back