Two axolotls, eggs

mifuneaxie

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is probably a dumb question, but if I were to get two axolotls (from the same breeder) and they happened to be different sexes would they breed for sure? I've seen lots of people with multiple axolotls, and I was hoping to get two this time instead of just one. But I don't think I'm ready to handle eggs! Aren't they hard to care for? It seems like it would be best to get one, wait for the gender, and then get another, right?

Thanks for the help!

Axies breed very readily in cold months (winter) and an opposite sex pair will very likely breed. If you do not want then to breed, you can either get two axies of opposite sexes (adults) or use a tank divider. A tank divider is not a guarantee though as spermatophores and eggs and be 'smuggled' past.

If you are getting juveniles, it is best to get 1 at a time and wait till you can accurately sex them.
I would not say that raising larvae is particularly difficult but it can be labour and cost intensive.

Thanks for the reply, I really don't think I'm experienced enough to work with eggs, so I'll stick with one axolotl.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back