The best sustainable foods?

schnappy

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hey all,
I was wondering what you would all recommend as 'sustainable' foods for axolotls? Things like crickets etc that can be easily bred and continue to provide food for a relatively low cost...

Thanks

I'm not entirely sure what you mean when you say "sustainable". You mean things you can grow yourself? My #1 recommendation would be compost worms. They can live on your household waste (fruit and veg. scraps + egg shells) and produce an endless supply of worms. And worms are about the most nutritious food you can use for your axolotl. If you read through the "worms" section of this forum, you can get some info on how to grow them.

Feeder cockroaches. Much easier than crickets, no smell, easy to contain, slow movement speed, fast breeding speed, healthy. What more could you want?

Urgh - no way I'd use roaches. I hate them. Crickets would be ok - though it was to my understanding that an axolotl couldn't digest them because of their chitin exoskeleton?

Earthworms I could do - my father has a compost with worms in it... though I've read to avoid garden worms - do they count?

Actually, roaches are a lot easier to raise than crickets. An axolotl could digest them, but it would be tricky to feed them under the water.

Actually, garden worms are ideal.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back