Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Lilaeopsis Brasiliensis

mifuneaxie

Reaction score
Can lilaeopsis be kept as a bare rooted plant, like anubias can? I guess they like a nutrient-rich substrate, but I'm wondering if they do okay without a substrate. Can I attach it to a rock? Or what about keeping it as some kind of mat? If it can't be kept that way, what kind of substrate is recommended/used, and is safe for axolotls?

Thanks for the help!

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
It can be grown without inserting it into the substrate but it will be very slow growing. It's best to split it up into 3-4 strands per bit in order to avoid algae problems. Splitting it up also gives you the added benefit of planting some just in case it doesn't take off really well without the substrate.

If you decide to plant it in the substrate I find that the finer the sand is the better it grows. Splitting it up to 3-4 strands per planting area still applies here as well.

mifuneaxie

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! I think I'll try fine sand like you recommended. Axolotl safe!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!