Kevin Marshall Introduction

KRM

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello to all!

My name in Kevin Marshall. I am a US citizen, but I have been living in Japan (Kansai region) for the past two years.

As a child I had a fascination with both reptiles and amphibians and had several lizards as well a a few newts. As the years went on, I found myself lacking in the time necessary to care for pets so I had none for around twenty years.

This changed once I moved to Japan and found some Japanese Firebelly newts living in the rice paddy behind my home. I gathered up a few and have had them for about a year and half now (and have enjoyed them immensely).

I hope to some day have a few terrestrial salamanders and perhaps a few more newts of differing varieties, but at the moment my wife and I just have the six Firebellies and two axolotls (in separate aquariums).

Many thanks to all who make caudata.org such a wonderful resource for information on the subject.

Kevin R. Marshall

Welcome to the forum Kevin! What type of axolotls do you have?

Actually I do not know what types they are. I'm not too familiar with axolotls at all. My wife bought these by accident (she didn't understand the mechanics of Internet auctions).

One is pinkish white with black eyes and the other is gray/black. We've had them for about six months or so and they have grown significantly in that time. I would like to learn more about them (checking out axolotl.org now).

As stated above, they were an "accidental" purchase, but we are enjoying them and have no regrets.

Sounds like the first one is a leucistic type while the second one sounds like a melanoid (which is my favorite type;)).

Welcome! This is a great site for both your kinds of caudates.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back