Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Starving the Newts during Vacation

A

achiinto

Hi,

I am going on a vacation for 2 and a half weeks. I am planning on a care protocol for my newts to my uncle who will take care of my house. Since it will be difficult to rely on my uncle to change water and observe my newts' behavior for all 5 enclosure I have, I am thinking to ask my uncle to not feed them (except for the juvenile axolotls I have). I recall reading from this forum before that newts may go starve for 7 weeks. So, starving them for 2.5 weeks should be fine. I just like to confirm this idea from other fellow forum members here.

As for the juvenile axolotl tank that I will continue feeding 30% it original food amount, I will ask my uncle to continue changing water for the tank. (every three days as opposed to everyday.)

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Will you be able to reduce the temperature in the house? This will help. If the newts are all in good healthy condition, I think they will be fine for 2.5 weeks.

A

achiinto

Thank Jen.

The heat will turn down during the time. It has been relatively cold so far in the house. Are you suggesting that potential danger of being too hot? Or the newts will need to eat during the 2.5 weeks if tempeture is high to have high metabolism newts? Alternatively, I can still ask my uncle to feed them once while I am away.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Although there is a risk of overheating while you are away, the main problem is that yes, their metabolism would be faster and they´d starve sooner. I´ve succesfully been away from my animals for 2 weeks, once, and everything went great. Mind you, my bedroom was like a giant refrigerator when i came back.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Right, I wasn't referring to the risk of the heat, but to the metabolic advantage of the cold. If the house is less than 60F (15C), I think they'll be fine for that time.

If you asked your uncle to feed them, what kind of food would be involved? If it's non-live food, then you should make sure the the amount he puts in is less than what they usually eat - to prevent the bad effects of uneaten food on water quality.

A

achiinto

Thanks all. I will try to lower the temperature, feed them well and clean them well before leaving. Hopefully things will turn out alright. I will record the outcome on the forum afterward so that other people can be benefited from this.

I am seeing some eggs in my SRN tank. So, when I am back, I can breed them again. (I failed a batch to ammonia... too ambitious to keep too many.)

A

achiinto

For record purpose, I am back from Hong Kong and Japan 2 weeks ago. My newts all did well after starving for 2.5 weeks with room temperature lowered.

This is for record to anyone who will be planning on a trip for similar length of time. If your collections are healthy adult newts, this is a successful case to starve them for this length of time.

However, on the side note, my 2 juvenile axolotls in the care of my cousin had suffered lost limbs, wounds and damages to limbs and tail from the aggression of the larger more aggressive tankmate. This was due to the reduced food amount. Now the wounds are healed after 1 week and the lost limbs are regenerating.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1