Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Too much sand?

Samyueruchan

Reaction score
I've just ordered my first axolotl and am keenly awaiting his (or her) delivery, my tank has been set up for a week or so now however I've been reading around on here and I'm starting to get worried that I have too much sand. There's about an inch and a half at the bottom of the tank now and I have read that this is too much. I had been very careful with all of my research and tank setup and was perhaps a little hasty in ordering my new friend. The murkiness of the water from the sand substrate has only just cleared so I'm reluctant to kick up so much more of it by removing much of the sand.

Obviously I want to do whatever is best for my axie and I would like to know which is worse: having too much sand, or having murky water?

melfly

Reaction score
Hi
Once the sand has settled (providing you did plenty of rinsing) it shouldn't be as cloudy when you move it it now.
I've read to minimise gas pockets in sand that deep you'll need to run your fingers through it to give it a bit of a mix up when doing water changes.

Mel

Joost

Reaction score
more sand (or gravel with other species) gives more room for a healthy bacteria culture, in my opinion. I use at the back of the tanks about 7-12 cm. The cloudy water will indeed disappear. For my Axo's, I use caviar gravel, so gasbubbles won't have a chance that much

Samyueruchan

Reaction score
Thank you very much for your very quick replies. I, rather stupidly, forgot to rinse the sand before I added it and so it is probably going to kick up a lot of muck when I remove some. The tank has had nothing living in it since I got it and so hasn't had a chance to cycle. I suppose that I'll remove much of the sand and if it is murky I'll just have remove much of the dirty water and replace it with clean water instead. I've just checked on the order and my axie has yet to be dispatched so s/he won't be here for another day or day or two at the very least. Hopefully this will give me some time for the water to settle. Thanks again!

Dragonbeards

Reaction score
If gas bubbles are what you are worried about, in the aquarium trade people often use Malaysian Trumpet Snails to stir up the sand and prevent the deadly gas pockets. I use them and they work well :)

Samyueruchan

Reaction score
Oh, thank you for that tidbit! I've already removed about half the sand now though anyway. It is now between 3/4" and 1".

I removed half the sand which of course kicked up loads of sand, but I just changed all the water and now it looks to be clearly up nicely. It'll certainly be clear before my axie arrives as s/he hasn't even been dispatched yet.

Thanks everyone for your helpful advice! :D

Last edited:

melfly

Reaction score
If you are still concerned with the cloudyness once your axolotl arrives you can keep him in a large tub and do full water changes daily til you feel the tank is ready. Mel

Samyueruchan

Reaction score
Thank you. This is indeed what I had planned. In fact, it's what I've been doing for the last few days anyway. That'll teach me for forgetting to rinse the sand!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1