Feeding

AllyTK

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
Display Name
AllyTK
Does any one else have an axolotl that seems more interested in trying to eat your little finger more than the bloodworm's you are holding? Or perhaps my axie is as blind as a bat (didn't think their sight was as bad as this lol) Makes for some laughs when it does it to my girlfriend and she pulls her hand out sharpish :D

Yes, one of my females is the same - she seems to believe she can eat an entire human if she just starts with a fingertip. Me, I'm like your girlfriend and am most likely to scream and pull my hand out, effectively flipping my pet against a wall.. I use feeding tweezers now to prevent that from happening. :eek:

-Eva

Haha yeah thats happened to me too. I once had fred attached to my knuckle. Mine always think i'm feeding them (little pigs) so everytime i put my hand in - to move something or general cleaning - i get someone havin a nibble on me!

Could be worse i suppose, imagine if they had teeth

Then i would definately not put my hand in! I think they do have teeth but not sharp enough to pierce our skin

Axolotls have little round teeth at the back of their jaws but they are only for gripping, not biting, tearing, or chewing.

Gosh I've been waiting for a moment to show off that knowledge! :D

-Eva

haha funny stories.

so what does it feel like?

does it feel like when you put your finger in fish tank and a curios fish comes and sucks on your finger kinder?

haha funny stories.

so what does it feel like?

does it feel like when you put your finger in fish tank and a curios fish comes and sucks on your finger kinder?

No, an axolotl's mouth is much stronger than a fish's. Hm, how would one describe what it feels like? Their mouths are smooth, not scratchy like a fish's. The ring around their mouth ("lips") is really strong and has a firm grip. Behind that there is really just nothingness; at least, my fingertip didn't fill Lotte's throat so I only felt her mouth. They are cold. They wiggle when they try to get off of the finger. Lotte used to hang on for a few seconds - certainly debating whether she could swallow the whole hand after all...

-Eva

Yeah you know their thinking ive got a meal and im not letting go ! Good to know on teeth at back i never knew that :D

hehe, gretchen, one of my axies will avoid the food and go straight for my finger :) i spent a good while pulling her around the tank until she let go... she seemed to be enjoying it lol

haha sounds so cute.

they sound a little determined.

cant wait to i get mine.

got everything now just to clean my room and build a table for the tank to sit on.

Yeah once they have settled in for a week or so they seem to get used to you well mine has

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back