Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Platys used in tank cycling?

Niall W

Reaction score
Alright guys,

I'm currently cycling my tank ready for my first axie, and i was pondering - as with tropical fish - adding a hardy fish to help with the ammonia.

I've heard of people using liquid ammonia, breaking down fish food or guppies so ...

I've got a tank full of healthy and pretty constantly breeding platys in the other room, so i was wondering if people knew if they'll be ok in cold water, at least for a while. I know they're a very hardy little fish and can tolerate differing temp's and conditions but i was hoping to ask anyone who's done this before?

Thanks, Niall :happy:

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I keep my platys without a heater, temps range throughout the year between 16-20°C. The platys do fine, are growing huge, and breed at those temps.

-Eva

Abrahm

Reaction score
I'm guessing you will be removing the platies when you add the axolotls? As long as your tank is at the upper end of the axolotl's range (68-70F) I imagine that a healthy platy would be able to survive those temperatures.

Niall W

Reaction score
Ah cheers Eva, that's just what i wanted to hear :happy:

Abrahm ... yeah i will do, don't want them ending up as Axie lunch : P

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Actually some people use platys as feeder fish for axies too. However, i find that they can grow quite large and not as 'bite sized' as the guppies or minnows. They swim quite fast too and can evade predation.

blueberlin

Reaction score
Actually some people use platys as feeder fish for axies too. However, i find that they can grow quite large and not as 'bite sized' as the guppies or minnows. They swim quite fast too and can evade predation.

I'm one of those. As Ray wrote, the platys are often much too strong for the axolotls - great little swimmers and jumpers, platys are. I have about five that have evaded the axolotls for over a year now and are slowly getting too big to eat. However, their fry hide out at the bottom of the tank, making them easy prey for axolotls.

In hindsight, I don't buy platys as feeder fish anymore.

-Eva

Niall W

Reaction score
I might have to try that then.

They've been breeding like crazy in my other tank for over a year now, with the other fish eating the spawn keeping the population relatively low, so it seems like a good idea to feed the Axie :happy:

I've heard even the presence of fish can potentially stress them out though.
An idea to take them out once it's cycled and the axie goes in, then introduce them one's s/he's established for a week or so? Or should it be fine?

Thanks for all the great replies guys, i really appreciate this level of help :happy:

blueberlin

Reaction score
I've actually never noticed my fish bothering my axolotls - I have guppies and platys in the diverse tanks with the diverse axolotls. Quite the contrary, when I moved an axolotl into the breeder tank temporarily, the fish behaved quite differently. Instead of roaming about, following their little fishy dramas, they all hovered at the water surface in groups. Seems to me that the fish were quite more stressed by the axolotl's presence than the other way around.

There is certainly more to say about keeping fish and axolotls together but that would be off-topic right here, I reckon.

-Eva

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!