Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Malaysian Trumpet Snails

mitcg

Reaction score
Having these snails in my axolotl tank a bad idea?
They have a very hard shell, are nocturnal, grow about an Inch.
Im pretty sure axolotls eat snails, witch is fine by me, I just don't want it to choke on it.

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
With snails i find it a bit tricky. You want to have them either small enough to be eaten safely or so huge that they cannot be eaten. The 'impaction' sized ones can be dangerous.

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't these the snails that burrow into and through the substrate?* If they are, they are wonderful in a tank - for that very reason. They are great at helping prevent dead pockets in the sand. And they pose no threat to the axolotls - as long as the water and snails are healthy, you'll never see them.

*I only know them by their German name, so just want to be sure.

-Eva

Abrahm

Reaction score
Those are exactly the snails you are thinking of, Eva. Considered a pest by many aquarists, they are mostly beneficial and the only time you'll see them is at dusk, dawn or when you suddenly turn the lights on after a period of darkness. The females are parthenogenic and thus can reproduce without any help. A single snail can populate a tank. It should also be noted that these are a tropical species and have an optimal baseline temperature of about 18C.

The only concern I would have would be the possible risk of impaction if an axolotl decided to try and eat one. I think that's a pretty minor concern.

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I just looked at this snail on google images, and although it may be a minor concern of an axolotl eating one...the shape of the snail makes it even more of a concern in my opinion. Their shells look extremely sharp, so if an axolotl were to eat one, no mater how slim the chances, it would wreak havoc on their stomach and intestines. I would personally not risk placing them in my tank with my axolotls. I don't think the benefit outweighs the risk.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!