Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Aquarium friendly glue??

Nattles88

Reaction score
I bought this really nice half log thing to put in my axies tank. Its a proper ornament, made out of some plastic polyresin or something, Im not sure. Anyway, i stood on it and snapped it in half, is there any glue or anything like that which is safe to use on aquarium ornaments?

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
You have just a few options here.

Number one is silicone adhesive. This is one you must be careful with though. For general ornament repair or affixing rocks, wood and ornaments securely in the tank any clear 100% silicone is fine. Do not use any that are colored or contain antimicrobials and anti fungals. For actual aquarium repair only aquarium rated silicone is suitable. The difference between regular silicone adhesives and aquarium rated is tensile strength and adhesion properties. Aquarium rated is the only type strong enough to hold up to water pressure AND adhere to glass. It is not suitable for acrylic aquarium repair. Allow a minimum of one week cure time AFTER the cure time listed on the label before submerging it. The good news is this product is easy to find at any do it yourself store.

Number two is aquaculture rated epoxy. These two part epoxies are expensive and sometimes hard to get. It also requires careful mixing to work properly.They are specially formulated to be stable underwater and do not leach harmful chemicals as they age. Unless it clearly states "aquaculture safe' on the label, it is not suitable. You must also allow a minimum one week cure time before submerging it.

Number three is a urethane glue, such as the brand name Gorilla Glue. This polymer glue is 100% waterproof and has a cure time of only a day before submerged use. The down side to this glue is that it expands as it cures, so clamping of the parts is required. It may also "foam" out between the pieces, requiring a bit of carving and sanding.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Lol, okay. I just can't see someone saying "hey, I wonder if this will hold me up!"

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1