Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Multiple tanks on one filter

Zach

Reaction score
Can I use multiple tanks on one cannister filter? I plan on using a 20 gallon tank for axolotls and a 10-15 gallon tank for feeder fish. I think it will work if both tanks have the same amount of water, but i want another opinion before trying.

Zach

Reaction score
The fish would be used to feed the axolotls and i think the filter could handle both, so i don't think that would stop any diseases, plus i'll have the fish for a few weeks to quarantine them anyway. I could use a cheap filter if necessary on the fish, but i'm trying to justify a $70 filter on a 20 gallon tank.

Zach

Reaction score
I'll probably use an aerator in the fish tank. Using it on more than one axolotl tank shouldn't be a problem though, right? Each tank would have axies a different stages, and combining the water would make it more stable.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1