Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: How much is too much?

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Yesterday I received 4 GORGEOUS axolotls from sharelkaye (thanks so much). They made a trip from TX to CT, so they hadn't eaten in about 2 days. I dropped 2 bloodworm cubes into their tank, and they were thrilled! They gobbled them up in no time, and are still searching around for more, so I am going to drop a 3rd in. I just wanted to know how much 4 juvenile axolotls should eat. They are pretty tiny, but sure do seem to like to eat. The tank temp is about 64 degrees.

Shizeric

Reaction score
I posted this about 20 mins ago, and the 3rd cube has already been eaten. The little guys are tiny, so that's all I'm gonna give em...but if 3 cubes is going to be their diet, how often should I feed them? I also plan on using earth worms when they are a little larger, as I think at their current size worms might be too much of a handful....or should I say mouthful.

mifuneaxie

Reaction score
I'm not really sure how much (I don't use bloodworms), but you don't want their stomachs to get wider then their heads, then your feeding them too much.

Shizeric

Reaction score
They are still walking around like bloodhounds hunting for bloodworm remnants, I used a turkey baster and removed all access waste however, so their hunt is pointless. I suppose I'll just feed them a few more "gumdrops" (they are bloodworms frozen in the shape of gumdrops" tomorrow.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
In my opinion I don't think you can really over feed juveniles. They'll eat at each feeding until they are full and I would feed them every other day.

Like hotchikisu said, just keep an eye on their belly. If it's consistently wider (it usually always gets wider right after a feeding which is ok) than their head then they are being fed too much.

Shizeric

Reaction score
It seems like it would take A LOT for their stomachs to become as wide as their head, but I put in a 4th bloodworm cube and in a matter of no time it was gone. Definitely all I'm gonna feed em for today, they seem pretty happy now. I wish my camera had batteries to I could get a few pics, but maybe I'll find some batteries or pick some up later. Thanks for the help folks.

Kerry1968

Reaction score
As has already been said, you can't really over feed juveniles, especially when they're really small, so go ahead and feed them however much they'll eat! If they're really small they need to be fed daily.

One thing I will add though, is make sure you defrost the bloodworms before you put them in the tank with the babies.

And congratulations on your new arrivals!

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
A fat, well fed juvenile is a healthy adult. I absolutely stuff all of my juvenile caudates during this period of their life. Yes, my pets eat better than I do...:D

The only downside to this is you have to really keep up on your tank maintenance and water chemistry, but it is worth the effort in the long run.

Shizeric

Reaction score
Yeah, but a nice filter, frequent water changes, and a turkey baster seem to be doing ok so far. lol thanks for the tips, my fat little juveniles are chubby but happy.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1