Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Possible fungal growth...appeared within the last 10 hours

axiegaz

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Klaus has a wierd growth on one of his gills. I think it's fungal but if i could please get some verifcation and idea of treatment that would be greatly appreciated:

couple of other factoids first:

ammonia: 0
nitrites: 0.20
nitrates: 20
temp: 17degrees

he seems fine, no irregular gill flapping or gasping, still keen on his food, infact to get him to the front of the tank for the picture i had to lure him with my finger :)

Attachments

• DSCF0859.jpg
    DSCF0859.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 374

melfly

Reaction score
Hi
It does look like fungus. You need to start administering salt baths ASAP as it can spread quickly.
You need to up those water changes to get that nitrite down

Mel

axiegaz

Reaction score
thx Melfly :)

he's just had his salt bath and is now in the fridge chill-axing :) My girlfriend has just told me that last night he was scratching that particular gill with his back leg... guess something must have been lodged there...
thx again :)

melfly

Reaction score
No worries.
You'll need to do 2 salt baths per day no longer than 10 mins.

axiegaz

Reaction score
hi guys,

Klaus is back to normal though minus some filaments on his affected gill :) all fungus has disappeared and i'm now thinking it wasn't fungus but scar tissue since it dissappeared so quickly. he seems happy enough and just ate an earthworm that was about 2 thirds his length :) i post some pics in a bit. thx again melfly

melfly

Reaction score
Hiya, glad he's doin well now. It was almost definately fungus. It comes on very quick but also clears quickly with the salt baths. Hows the nitrite coming on? Mel

axiegaz

Reaction score
nitrite now at zero on the colour chart but there is still a little pigmentation so i'll just continue with the current water regime for the next day or so and see where we're at on friday

melfly

Reaction score
Sounds like the cycle is almost done. Thats great news. Hopefully all will be well now. Mel

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1