Illness/Sickness: Nemo will not eat

Sewsea

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Please help my poor baby? Is it something I have done? Why wont Nemo eat anymore?...

1 week ago my neighbour and I bought some axolotls. My Nemo and Mildred were in the same tank at the pet store..Mildred is doing very well, but Nemo, since I changed the tank water (7 days ago) will not eat..I have tried the ph test and it is fine, tried Nemo on all red meats, bloodworms, put in a filter, changing water regular, no clorine etc in water...
I am on the verge of giving up.. Nemo will not eat.. I am so worried. I have put Nemo in a quiet cool place, still nothing. The meat touches Nemos mouth and he/she swims away fast in a different direction.

What should I do? Oh please help :(

Hi there,

I know you said you've checked the pH, but have you checked the water parameters? Eg/ ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels? Also temperature? It is odd that one is eating fine and the other isn't, but I have known some axie's to be more sensitive than others.

Also, is it a possible impaction? What are you using on the tank floor?

ive got trouble with mine ive got three axolotls one black white and gold but i got the gold one 8 days ago and has not eaten and is refusing food but he looks fine can anyone help!!!!

Check that your water parameters and temperature are appropriate. My guess is that the water temperature is too high (anything over 20).

I recommend all Aussie axie owners to fridge their axies over the entire summer months unless they have a tank chiller that can keep the temperature in their 'teens'. If despite a chiller, the water temperature remains 20 and above especially over 2 or 3 days, the axies need to be fridged as well.

On heat wave days, (high 30s, 40s), my tank chiller is not be able to keep up and at best hover around the 23 mark. As such, i am also fridging my axies as the moment.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back