Really quite sad

kaylalouise

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hey everyone,

i am new to the world of axolotls and cant wait to get mine.

my bf and i have a habit of going to the pet store when ever we go shopping. and lately more and more axolotls have been popping up, maybe i just never noticed them before in the tanks.

but the conditions they are kept in are just atrocious.

the gravel is too small, its like normal fish gravel the tanks a bright with no hidey holes and the temperatures around around 26-28 degrees Celsius.

it really break my heart to seem them like this with hardly and gills =(

and i think the worst part is they all have info stickers on the tank informing the public that these are cold water animals and yet the water is so hot.

You may like to print out an information sheet on axie care from this site and give them a copy.

In many instances, the pet shop staff themselves are not fully equipped with the knowledge. It is not a conscious choice to house the axies like so.

Yeah, some pet stores don't know how to take care of axies.
I bought out all the axolotls in stock one time (total of 2) because they were all in small containers and the water temperature was at 80 degrees F.
I have one adult which I believe is a female and a younger one that I'm hoping is a male so I
can start a breeding project.

I was in my local pet store a week or two ago and they were in similar conditions as you've described... and filled with lots of fish. He looked like he was drugged as well - really sluggish movements, just trying to get out of the tank (in the corner of the tank trying to move up). Quite sad.

there's a petshop near me (where i get my earthworms and bloodworms) that has quite a few axies - and they are kept in terrible conditions for example there is one tank (1'10"10") with about 8 3-4inch axies in all of which have no limbs where they are attacking each other plus the water temp is in the mid to late 20. the owner has a show tank as well with an info sheet about what they are - no hides, high temp, overly powerful filter, gravel. i politley asked if she knew much about them... turns out she doesn't so i directed her to axolotl.org and here and advised her what she need to do and she actually did it i was so shocked when i went back there a week later :)

Hi,

I totally agree petshops should be better informed when it comes to keeping axolotls.

I bought mine in some state and hes not really ever recovered.Ive also pointed out to other pets shops how axolotls should be looked after and directed them to this website.

Unfortunally most pet shops dont care about axolotls welfare they just look at them as "stock" and not actual pets.

I hope if people can keep correcting pets shops and offer the right advice we may be able to reduce and hopefully stop the ignorence of the basic care that an axolotl requires :proud:

It really is awful what you can find out there. I bought one yesterday from a normally reputable petstore, and the poor thing is in no way healthy. No gills, and a nasty kind of fungal infection on his front leg, which is about to drop off anyhow. I did pull a good guilt trip on the staff, and they discounted him greatly. I'm going back in on wednesday -- and if they haven't at least moved those infernal ping pongs out of the juvie axie tank, I think I may really give them what-for. I'm just that sick of seeing poor mutilated axies. The opinion I got from the store seemed to be "they regenerate anyway, so what's the big deal?"
A broken leg on anything is painful. Just that it can regrow it doesn't make it any less stressful and traumatising!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back