Question: Will feeding my axolotl tadpoles cause him to metamorph?

Aaron71w

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I just want to if feeding my axolotls tadpoles cause him metamorph?

Very unlikely. When an animal ingests another, their DNA doesn't fuse to change the consumer's DNA.

No, it won't. Tadpoles are a natural part of their diet.

Large tadpoles going into metamorphosis themselves are going to be richer in thyroxine, (the hormone that causes metamorphosis in amphibians) than most other foodstuffs but still contain a lot less than the sort of dosages given to induce axolotl metamorphosis in various scientific papers.

While in practice tadpoles will be a natural part of axolotls diets I would not advise making them the mainstay of feeding.

Think of tadpoles for your axolotls as "big juicy pills full of parasites and other nasty diseases"

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back