Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Photo: New Albino Salamander update

bekker

Reaction score
Ok so... i had a hard time getting any good photos but here is what i got. See original thread if you want any background on this sal.
I have been feeding him/her blood worms every other day and one baby mosquito fish every other day. The fish naturally live in the ponds the salamander is from and i quarantine the fish a few days before i feed them to "Alby" His water stays around 61 degrees. Remember i have had this sal since he was probably less than a week and a half old from what i can tell. Outside temps are in the 30-40s here. About a month ago he lost his gills, I converted his 5 gal tank from 100 water to about a gallon of water and a lot of room to be on land if he wants. It has a ramp and everything. BUT he has not come out of the water! when i take him out his bone structure seems to support standing and he seems very comfortable, but he always finds his way back underwater were he stays submerged all day. How is he getting oxygen?!?! I also had a lamp on him that supported plants i had in the tank but i recently decided to cut the lights on him as it cant be doing anything positive for his skin and eyes... My next step is to sex him and begin thinking about breeding. I dont know that he is old enough at probably 4-5 months and i also feel my best success would be to move him to an outside tank but i am concerned with moving him now as its so cool... also i hope i have not messed up his internal clock to much. here are the picks! lets here some thoughts.
I think he is a northwestern salamander.
Also, i am interested in anyone else's albino amphibians, anyone else got anything other than a clawed frog, axolotl, pack man or bull frog?
P1010654.jpg

P1010656.jpg

P1010659.jpg

P1010660.jpg

P1010664.jpg

P1010665.jpg

P1010666.jpg

P1010669.jpg

P1010670.jpg

P1010673.jpg

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
What an awesome little freak! I agree with A. gracile. The large parotid glands give it away.

Albino animals tend to be very sensitive to UV rays. I would cut down lights to an absolute minimum.

I think if you changed the tank around to predominantly terrestrial with just a water dish, it would be more terrestrial. It's probably in the water because the water seems like a more adequate habitat than the terrestrial part. Try giving him good hides on land.

caudatadude28

Reaction score
Hey, awsome sal! I would keep him in a shallow semi aquatic setup. People are not often lucky enough to keep ambystomids aquatically or semi aquaticly with the exception of neotenics. He would still breed if he was aquatic and he may grow faster too. I would try to incorporate chopped earthworms into his diet. Bloodworms and fish arent a complete diet. Blackworms, whiteworms, finely chopped nightcrawler are good too.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!