Featheriness of gills?

nailartjess

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Jess :)
I just want to know whether it depends on the colour of the axolotl on how it affects how fluffy or feathery their gills get? As I have 2 currently, a black one and an albino/gold one both I think are the same age as they are the same size altho the black one is male and the gold female.

The gold one seems to have a lot more fethering on her gills than the male, atleast double the amount. Does it depend on the colour, sex of them?

It depends on their genetics. Some lines will produce axolotls with nice fluffy long gills, and some with short gills. Theres also the possibility of past nibblings of other axolotls or fish and a bad experience with the water parameters. It also has something to do with the amount of oxygen in the water. Lower oxygen means your axolotl will need more gills. This however is not recommended as it is for display purposes only and will slowing have a negative effect on your axolotl.

As long as your water has enough oxygen, your water parameters are perfect, a healthy diet of nutritional worms and there is no nasty tank mates, your axolotls gills will reach his full potential that his genetics allow =]

Goodluck, hope this helped,

Blaze

thank u for the reply, in my tank I do have an air stone as I have read on somebody elses post that thie axolotl likes to swim thru the bubbles. Should I remove this stone? I have them in a 3 1/2 foot tank with the water about 40 - 45cm deep and it has an overhead trickle filter which has about a 5cm drop before the water coming out of the filter hits the rest of the water, so plenty of oxygen. I've posted a pic below

axo tank new.jpg

Do your axies like it? I think some like it, some don't. Just see if they like it and if not, then thats fine you can take it out. Your water may already have enough oxygen in it, but if you notice that they are going up to the surface more often, you can put it back in=]

Blaze.

Yeah I think I might take it out, they don't seem to have gone near it in the week that I have given them their newly renovated tank. Will turn it off till the next water change, and I don't think I have seen them once go up to the surface for air and I can see them all day where I work at home. I am sooo in love with them lol
I'm waiting to get a leucistic sp? one.

sp?
Sounds like a plan =]
They are VERY loveable creatures. Sometimes I'm scared Sunny might morph so i'm able to pick him up and cuddle him LOL

lol, I would love to be able to pick them up and cuddle them. I was looking at pics of sunny earlier, he is gorgeous. My 2 are chuckie and miss piggy. I am about to feed them actually. I normally feed them blood worms straight into the tank but I think tonight I might put the blood worms into a jar first and see how that goes. But even putting them straight into the tank I notice they clean every one of them up now that they have sand as substrate. so much easier to keep clean

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back