Broods

kinkyoto

Reaction score
Country
United States
I noticed that there can be a variety of Axolotl colors from the same brood.
Can many colors come from the same brood? For example can a wild type have leucistic babies? I'm just curious because I can't find any leucistic axolotls and I'd like to have one too. I have an albino and a wild type.

Yes there can be several colour types in the same brood but it depends on the genetic mix of the parents. If you cross a golden albino with a wild type at least half the offspring will be wild type because this form is dominant. The other half could also all be wild type if the "wild" parent carries two copies of the wild gene, but if it carries the leucistic gene and the albino also has the leucistic mutant then some leucistics could be among the brood. If the wild type carries the albino mutation then albinos will be present.

One of my leucistics is the offspring of two wild types. The easy way to get leucistics is to cross two leucistics!

If you do cross these axolotls and do not get any leucistics in the first batch it is unlikely any will emerge in subsequent broods.

Any time an albino axolotl is involved in the breeding the results are extremely varied. I had a leucistic/xanthic albino pair that threw everything. One batch was all leucistic, another was all wild types and a few albinos. Most clutches were a mix of everything.

Wow cool. Thank you guys for answering my question about this.
I really do believe my albino is a female because her cloacal is not swollen.
She's about 6 inches long (15cm).

And my baby wild type is about 4inches long.
I'm hoping this wild type is a male.

Here's some pictures of my albino and my wild type.
please leave comments =]

Please also confirm that my albino is a female.
I would really like to know.
I basically just used the information on the Axolotl page.
If the cloacal is small then it's a female.

Attachments

• DSCN6464.JPG
    DSCN6464.JPG
    241.1 KB · Views: 76
  • DSCN6473.JPG
    DSCN6473.JPG
    169.5 KB · Views: 65
  • DSCN6497.JPG
    DSCN6497.JPG
    203.8 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
She looks like a female to me. The wild type is of course still too young to sex.

By the way, your tank looks spotless! I'm envious.:happy:

-Eva

She looks like a female to me. The wild type is of course still too young to sex.

By the way, your tank looks spotless! I'm envious.:happy:

-Eva

Thank you =]

Note that it is also possible for a single female axie to pick up spermatophores from several males in the tank if housed together. That means, the eggs can be fertilised by different males and hence result in progeny of various colours.

I would say 6 inches is probably too young to sex. Finley didn't show he was male until he was about 7 and a half inches. The other two are still undecided up to now and are all coming up 8 inch. Mel

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back