Question: How likely is breeding?

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Eric
I have 4 axolotls housed in the same tank, they are only about 4 months old, but as they grow, odds are there are both males and females in the tank. I don't necessarily want them to breed, as I think 4 axolotls is all my tank can house, and I don't really feel like setting up multiple tanks. The tank is always kept at 64 degrees F, 17.7 C, and the axolotls are fed daily. I don't know what conditions contribute to the likelihood of breeding, but I was just wondering exactly how "amorous" axolotls can be.

Axolotls can be pretty prolific, some have even been known to lay fertile eggs despite being seperated by a tank divider. :eek:

If your not wanting eggs then you have at least 3 good choices; the first way is to seperate them by sexes as soon as you know which sexes you're dealing with (still not foolproof as some males don't tend to "show" until after it's too late), second is to just leave the eggs in the tank and let the parents eat them, and the third method is to just place an ad on here to get rid of them.

One of your options said leave them and let the parents eat them. Is there any down side to this (asides from eating axolotl babies)? Like infections or something? Is there any problems with having them mate and not removing the eggs? If they hatch, they'll just get eaten. But is it bad for the axolotls to mate too much? I mean how often do they mate? And do females need extra care when they're pregnant (can you even tell when they are)?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm interested in this topic too. Thanks!

If worst comes to worst, and eggs do appear, I'll just remove them and raise them...I know there are plenty of people looking for well-cared for axolotls, as I know pet shops typically aren't as educated as they should be in the treatment of their axolotls. I like having 4 axies in the same tank, so I prolly won't separate them, but I was just wondering if they are likely to make some babies.

One of your options said leave them and let the parents eat them. Is there any down side to this (asides from eating axolotl babies)? Like infections or something? Is there any problems with having them mate and not removing the eggs? If they hatch, they'll just get eaten. But is it bad for the axolotls to mate too much? I mean how often do they mate? And do females need extra care when they're pregnant (can you even tell when they are)?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm interested in this topic too. Thanks!

Hi hotchikisu,

Breeding places a heavy burden on the female. She will lay hundreds of eggs individually, and the production of eggs takes priority over many other body functions, including growth. If your females breed too young, they may be stunted. Heavy breeding can also affect the female's immune system, making her susceptible to any number of infections. My personal belief (and one I hold very strongly) is that axolotls should be kept separate by sex and only mixed when eggs are specifically wanted.

The frequency with which axolotls mate varies by animal. Some still follow the natural rhythm of a breeding season; others breed throughout the year, often quite frequently (my female laid eggs every three, even two!, weeks) (and she died from it).

A female does not require special care because she is not really "pregnant" per se. The male lays spermatophores on the floor and the female draws them into her body, where she uses them to fertilize eggs waiting inside. Within the next 24 hours, she will begin depositing the eggs. (Afterwards she will be tired and very hungry, though).

You can find lots more info on the axolotl.org site under Biology and Breeding.

-Eva

In addition to the strain on the female producing and depositing eggs when bred excessively, the male counterpart can also lose body condition if left to breed anytime throughout the year. Excessive breeding definitely has a negative impact on their immunity and they become more prone to stress and illness.

One other minor thing i find is that the eggs left in tanks (especially infertile and decomposing) can disrupt water chemistry and foul the water. I find rotting eggs particularly annoying to clean because they cling to everything from plants to the air stone tubing and can remain there for aeons until you remove them.

The male suffers under frequent breeding too? I would have thought he lives for it! Oh, there I go confusing amphibians with humans again. I guess it's because axolotls are always grinning. :p

Ray, you are so right about the egg remains. I always have some sort of snail in the tank, though - one aquarist's plague is another's feeder critter - and the snails make pretty short work of egg snot. ;)

-Eva

Thanks for the replies blueberlin and darkmaverick. I would definitely not want to put the axolotl(s) through too much stress. I had originally assumed too much breeding would be stressful and probably have health problems. It sounds much better to keep the different sexes apart, unless you want eggs specifically.

Thanks for your input! I have checked out the axolotl.org site, and have read pretty much the whole thing! It's a great site to refer back to as well!

Thanks again!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back