Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How many axies????

coichards

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just wondering how many axies could be housed in a (standard) 4ft tank. :confused:

It's(cm) 120[L] x 35[W] x 48[H]. Holds about 200L.
It's(Inch) 47[L] x 13[W] x 19[H]. Holds about 53 US gal.

I was thinking three but no more than four because you usually keep 1-2 in a 2ft.

Thanks...
:bowl::bowl::bowl:

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Standard rule is 1 axolotl per 10 US gallons. 4 feet gives it a nice footprint, as length is far more important than height. So, based on that I would say a tank that size is suitable for 3 or 4 axolotls, just remember that with more axolotls, there is gonna be a lot more waste being introduced into the water.

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I agree with you both. My tanks are 120x45x50cm - obviously there is less than the 50cm height because of the anti-jump gap at the top and the substrate at the bottom, but the floorspace is nice and there is certainly enough room for three adult axolotls. There is probably enough room for four, too, but I am a more-is-more kinda girl and would limit it to three axolotls.

-Eva

coichards

Reaction score
Thanks for your input,
I think I will be eventually be keeping three axies in that tank.

I also think it is important to consider the amount of water changes and filtration that will be used.

If you were using no or low filtration and doing less frequent water changes the number of axies you could keep in a specific tank would decrease.

lilardo

Reaction score
I have a similar sized tank with 2 axies in it. They seem happy.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!