Paint fumes

melfly

Reaction score
Country
England
Hiya this might sound like a stupid question but if i use gloss paint in my living room, could fumes or anything get in my axolotls water?

From your posts, you seem like a cautious and sensible person Mel. I think as long as you take the necessary precautions (ie plastic sheet cover, open windows for ventilation, work on small areas at a time etc) it should still be safe. Of course if you can avoid it, it is always best.

Volatile substances can dissolve in tank water and in some cases are known to cause toxicity or allergic response in axies. Air fresheners, aerosols and cigarette smoke for example can all potentially cause a reaction. Axies react by developing skin shedding problems.

Good ventilation will be essential.

Thanks Rayson, do you think moving them into large tubs in another room whilst still covering the tank i have in the living room and doin a water change before putting them back would be a good plan or would it involve too much stress for them? Thanks mel

If i were you, and i want to be uber super careful, i would fridge the axies for three days and then meanwhile use plenty of activated carbon and zeolite granules with my filter and leave it running. Daily 20-30% water changes for the 3 days won't harm either. That way, i can be sure the axies are returning to a 'fume free' home.

No matter how stressful their temporary transport is, the fridge vacation will placate them.

Marvellous, sounds like a plan. Thank you very much. Mel

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back