Fairy shrimp for larvae

Gavin Hunter

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi ,I have discovered a fairy shrimp distributor. They have all the tips on raising them. Are they a suitable size for newly hatched axies? Also, if they were too escape capture of the axies, they would grow with the axies becoming a constant food supply...not their only food source of course! With 10,000 eggs per pak,I could start young shrimp when ever needed. Brine shrimp, just seem to be a husbandry problem. Yours in hobby, Gavin. What y'all think ?

I'm also interested in the answer to this question. Could you PM me a link to the distributor? I also have juveniles and am always looking at new food I can add to their diet.

I told you, the Artemia won´t survive for long in a freshwater tank, because they need high saline concentrations (which are lethal for axolotls). You can feed the newly hatched nauplii and remove the excess, if there is any, when it dies (or else they will foul the water quickly).

There are no freshwater fairy shrimp? My vernal ponds here in Canada must be salt water then!

So that there is no mistake. I'am talking about "Anostaca" freshwater shrimp. Gavin

I remember seeing a video, perhaps on Youtube, of an axolotl happily munching on shrimp...I think they were ghost shrimp...but at least adults do eat them.

I have just finished setting up my 90 gal. diamond tank w/ plants,river pebbles and a 16'x 16' piece of slate and seeded it w/ cherry shrimp(200) for my 2011 breeding tank. So between the ch.shrimp and adding fairy shrimp when the time comes ... I should have lotl food! LOL Gavin

100,000 fairyshrimp eggs couldn't hatch in time.I did find one fairy shrimp about 2 " long.Neat! Daphnia works best for me.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back