Question: PH value

bjur

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Hi. Fairly new to keeping CFB, so I was wondering what should the tank water's pH value be? Also, should I keep a plate of water on the dry land for them? Thanks.

Ph must be around 7 (neutral), but a little bit lower isn't a problem (this will also happen when you've got driftwood in your tank). A lower Ph gives bacteria and fungus not much change.
A piece of corkbark floating, or a piece of driftwood or stone what sticks out of the water will do fine, to create a land area for them.

Any pH from 6-8 is fine, but of course you don't want to have rapid fluctuations. How do you have them set up - mostly terrestrial or mostly aquatic? If they are terrestrial, then yes, you should certainly have some kind of water dish.

Hi Joost and Jennewt. Currently my pH is around 6.4 (using API's liquid test kit). Do I need to throw in some coral chips to buffer the pH? I have 2 driftwoods and a DIY floating platform.

A pH of 6.4 is a little low, but it really should be fine. When it comes to the pH the most important factor is how stable it is. A stable, but low pH is much better than you as an aquarist changing parameters all the time. The constant fluctuations will cause more problems and stress in the animals then the pH.

Do you know your KH (carbonate hardness)? This is the main buffering system of most aquarium water. If your KH is really low it means that your water will be more likely to change pH on its own (from dissolved oxygen, organics from the newts, compounds from degradation of wastes, etc.) and it may be beneficial in this case (low pH and low KH) to add some crush coral or limestone pieces in a bag to your filter/tank.

your Ph will do fine indeed. But also remind that Nitrite is more poison with a lower Ph

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back