I'm scared (lightening in color)

Sapien

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Sapien
First off, I've just gotten my first axxies over the last two days. Orion (little black one) yesterday and Zuma (white Albino I think) today.
Orion has been rather sluggish but I'm guessing its because the tank is a little warm (I'm freezing small bottles now. Temp is sitting at 24C) And Zuma's gills have lightened from a bright red to a light pink. Is it just because of the new environment and the tank being warmish? (its not in sunlight at all, has a tank light but I have not used it)
PH is neutral.
Using fine sand, they have a hiding log. Just put in some feeder fish today.
I'm new so I'm just a little scared.

I don't really have advice pertaining to the gill color or sluggishness. But regarding your temperature, 75.2 degrees is higher than their tolerable spectrum in terms of heat, so this could certainly be causing a problem. If the room you are keeping them in is very warm, you should move them to the floor where the temp will be slighter cooler, or have you considered an air conditioner to keep the room a bit cooler? I have heard that water bottles aren't the best idea because the immediate change in temp can be detrimental to their health, and cause a great deal of stress. If the temp is uncontrollable, seeing that you can't always be around to provide them with relief from the heat, fridging is always a last option.

I do have an aircon, its running non-stop basically, its just been really humid here lately.
The bottles are 2 inches by 4 inches, really small ones, and I'm keeping a very close eye on the temp, its down to 23C at the moment, and its very slowly dropping from just putting in a few ice cubes.

OH and I have gotten Orion to eat half a bloodworm block. and a small feeder fish. She seems to be doing well.
Great thing about feeder fish, they clean up the messy bloodworm :p

The temperature is a problem . Is there anywhere else that the axolotl tank can be placed? Do you have a fan that you can blow across the tank surface, this will help drop the temperature. I have also used a damp towel with a fan blowing across it.
If Zuma is a leucistic the paler gills may not be a problem, a relaxed resting axolotl gills tend to be paler.
On another note, the axoltl and fish should have been qurantined from each other for a minimum of 30 days, this is so you can check that all are healthy before mixing.

I'm pretty sure she is leucistic, she has red/pinkie gills, blue eyes and very small black freckles on her nose (which I find adorable). I will use a small fan as suggested, tank cannot be moved, my room is the darkest (we also have 4 cats and a dog at the moment) and I am a planning to put a reflective tarp over my window to reduce heat greatly.

Also thank you for the advice! I shall do my best.

Just a small note that if you are dropping ice cubes directly into the tank water, the water used to make the ice still requires the use of dechlorinators.

Just a small note that if you are dropping ice cubes directly into the tank water, the water used to make the ice still requires the use of dechlorinators.

I deducted that :) it's all good, I made them up beforehand just in case ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back