Hope it was just a bad worm

AllyTK

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
Display Name
AllyTK
Hi I just got in house after work and tried to feed my axie. He took a worm then spat it out so i assumed he was just not hungry. Then when i looked again he was being sic (looked like he was ) some stuff came up not a lot but something and now im worried . This is first time it has happened and i checked all water prams they are all fine. It looks like he was being sic again but nothing has came up since first time. Hope its nothing serious thanks in advance Ally

Does any one know what would cause this loss of appetite as i am at a loss. I dont know if my axie just doesnt like worms or is sick am gonna gwet some bloodworms tomorrow to try but am still worried any help would be appreciated

Is there any chance that someone else already fed him? They don't usually spit up their food unless they have overeaten. If that's not the case, then I think it was just a bad worm. Have you fed him that type of worm before?

where did this worm come from? Did you buy them, or find it yourselves? A lot of worms from the trade, are bred in manure. A lot of newts won't eat this

Noone else has fed him and he had eaten these worms before he has eaten bloodworms now so i think it might have been the worms taste(i took out the bit of onion that was feeding them in case that was the reason) the worms were bought from livefoods.co.uk as feeder worms so im sure they are just normal earthworms(but have no way of knowing)

It was good that you acted quick and took out the onion bit. Earthworms meant as food for axies should be just fed with greens and fruit. Aromatics like onions, garlic, chives and the like are best avoided.

Just thought i would come tell people how stupid I was. I changed my tank sub from sand to slate about 1week ago and i think this has caused the tank to start cycling again (i did keep about 10 l of old tank water but must not have been enough ) so I have moved him to a tub (have not fridged him as water temp sits at 9-14c all day ) with de-chlorinated water and im going to change it whenever it needs (or every day after work untill my tank has sorted out) I have 0.5-1.2mg/l ammonia 20ppm nitrIte and less than 5 ppm nitrAte at the moment and will wait till it has fully settled. I have fed him a few worms while in the tub and he has happily eaten them so hopefully i havnt cause any harm. Thanks for previous help though as if it wasnt me being stupid im sure they would have resolved the problem
Thanks Ally

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back