Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Feeding Frequency at Lower Temperatures

bitenomnom

Reaction score
Hello,
I live in my university's apartment-style dorms, and I (probably to the delight of my axolotls!) have ended up with the coldest room. Usually I am gone over the weekends and leave my door shut, and because the thermostat is right by the heater, my room never gets very warm (but especially while the door is shut). So when I came home today (Monday), for instance, after being gone and having my door shut since Friday, the axolotls' tank was at 9 degrees Celsius. I am finding that during the cold winter weeks it usually doesn't go above 13, maybe 15 if my door stays open to the main area for the whole day. (Also depends slightly on whether the thermostat is set to the "emergent heat" setting. My dormmates shut it off during the weekend which might be why it was down to 9.)

Because of this, I have been feeding them only about once a week as that appears to be all they need. Is this okay? Or am I being deceived by their apparent sufficient plumpness?

Additionally, my winter break starts this weekend. I can easily stop by once a week to feed them and do a water change, but I was wondering about how the temperature would affect how I ought to do this. If the tank is 9-13 degrees all the time while I'm gone, will they still be hungry enough to eat their usual amount each week? Or should I assume it would be best to reduce the portion size to avoid the risk of rotting regurgitated food in the tank? (I also have a corn snake so my instinct is "if it's really cold, err on the side of feeding a bit too little"!)

In case of emergency (like the giant blizzard snowstorm we just got last week!!), would my axolotls be okay for slightly more than a week, say a week and a half? (My family will be out of state only for a few days but would probably extend our stay if it looks like we would have to drive through bad weather.)

And one other question, is there any worry about the temperature getting TOO low? I can only assume even the slowly flowing heat from the other, warmer rooms into mine would be able to keep the axolotls warm enough. (Usually the temperature in the main living area is around 68-73 degrees F). In other words, to me it seems unlikely that the water would get too close to freezing where it is. Do you think the temperature of the tank would have reached "equilibrium" with the outside temperature and the dorm temperature over the 3 days I was gone? (In other words, that if the temperatures outside and inside stay the same, it would get no colder over one week than it did over those three days?) (I know, I just finished thermal physics, I should calculate it or something!!)

Sorry for the long post! From what I have read I think they will be fine on the schedule I have planned for them. But I thought I would ask about some of the finer points. Also on a related note, I can only assume they would be quite happy and comfortable at this temperature? The thought of getting a heater for an axolotl seems kind of counterintuitive since I just spent the whole summer trying to keep the temperature below 19!

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Once a week is just fine and actually probably all they'll eat at that temperature. Just remember the colder they are the more their metabolism drops therefore requiring less food for energy. A week and a half away should be no problem for these guys.

As for the temperature, I've had tanks recently get a slight layer of ice of the surface with no ill effects and I believe a few other members have had this as well.

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I actually think you are very well prepared and thought things over carefully. They are all sensible, practical thoughts.

I would go with what Justin suggested. At those temperatures, a weekly feeding will suffice. It is more the nutritional content and volume during the feeding session that is more critical. If you are feeding them weekly, fill them up with nutritious worms and pellets and avoid 'empty calories' such as treats. Always err on feeding less like you said. Uneaten, regurgitated or rotting food would only foul the water.

Your axies will love you for the cold. They thrive very well at low temperatures and i don't foresee any problems unless you are an inuit and live in an igloo that goes way below freezing point.

bitenomnom

Reaction score
As for the temperature, I've had tanks recently get a slight layer of ice of the surface with no ill effects and I believe a few other members have had this as well.
That's very reassuring and good to know!

Darkmaverick said:
It is more the nutritional content and volume during the feeding session that is more critical. If you are feeding them weekly, fill them up with nutritious worms and pellets and avoid 'empty calories' such as treats. Always err on feeding less like you said. Uneaten, regurgitated or rotting food would only foul the water.

Your axies will love you for the cold. They thrive very well at low temperatures and i don't foresee any problems unless you are an inuit and live in an igloo that goes way below freezing point.
Excellent! I usually feed them only worms and pellets anyway so that will work out perfectly.
Haha, well, though the temperature outside is oftentimes (EDIT: well, actually, always) below freezing at this time of the year, I think the fact that I am living in a place that theoretically has some heating should make my room feel a bit less like an igloo.

Gavin Hunter said:
I hope the washroom pipes don't freeze then burst!
Me too! Well, actually, all the rooms with water flowing through pipes don't have any walls to the outside so they are as toasty as can be. (Luckily!!)

Gavin Hunter

Reaction score
Now, if we fast forward to April/May.Will you experience high temperatures?Gavin

oceanblue

Reaction score
Like other posters I think you are fine with cold temperatures and occasional feeding. A one off two week gap in feeding if you are blocked from getting to them by bad weather is not going to do any harm if they look as well fed as you say. I run my axie tank at 10C for much of the year. They thrive at this temperature.

You are the one at risk of hypothermia not the axies!

bitenomnom

Reaction score
Now, if we fast forward to April/May.Will you experience high temperatures?Gavin
Hmmm, probably, at least by May. I mean, I live in Nebraska, land of "if it's within 50 degrees of today's temperature, it might be the temperature tomorrow" so it's hard to say. Sometimes April and May are the same as February, sometimes they're the same as June.

Luckily at the dorms our electricity is paid for so we can keep it around 72 in the warmer months, and then I only have to change out iced water bottles a couple of times a day. Or if I'm gone, I might just have to put some styrofoam around the tank! (Or move them to the basement in my parents' house, which is where they lived this past summer until I moved into this dorm.)

(I think it's funny that I have the best grasp of the temperature of my axies' tank in Celsius, since that's what I keep the thermometer set to, but for anything else I have to use Fahrenheit!)

oceanblue said:
Like other posters I think you are fine with cold temperatures and occasional feeding. A one off two week gap in feeding if you are blocked from getting to them by bad weather is not going to do any harm if they look as well fed as you say. I run my axie tank at 10C for much of the year. They thrive at this temperature.

You are the one at risk of hypothermia not the axies!
Great to know! I'm glad that if there is bad weather I won't have to risk my life -- if they were about to die of hunger, that's one thing, but of course it seems silly to get in a massive wreck or to get frostbite over some mildly peckish axolotls. ;) (When I fed them 7 days ago and came back 2 days ago, they looked almost the same as they had when I'd fed them. They only became noticeably slimmer around today, maybe partially because the tank has been around 15 since I got back as opposed to 9 while I was gone.)

Haha, and last night I had to cover my face with blanket so my nose wouldn't freeze! I just have to think, the colder I am, the comfier they are... But much as I dislike being chilly, I think my distaste for temperatures too warm for my liking is comparable to an axie's -- stress, stress, stress!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1