Buying axolotls-- you experiences

kaylalouise

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi everyone,

looking into a few place to purchase my axolotl/s from. i am suprised there isnt a standard price. some place i have been rining have them for 25 dollars others for 50.

my main questions is:

how have you axolotls coped when bringing them home into a tank at a cooler temperature than the tank they were in at the shop?

most place i have seen(admittedly these have been pet shops not aquariums) have the axolotls in tanks anywhere between 20 - 26 degrees Celsius. however from what i have been told form people on here and my own research this is really at a danger point for them.

i would think that when housing them in their new home you should follow the procedure you do with fish-- by placing the bag you bought them in into the fish tank and leave them to adjust to the temperate difference?

any help would be appreciated.

=)

hi kylalouise

I actually bought my axolotl from the petshop I work at, and you're right, the water is kept a little warmer than recommended in these forums. When I bought little Milly home, I floated her bag in the water for 20-30 minutes, and gradually added more and more aquarium water. As long as you go slowly they should adjust just fine. Keep an eye out for the first 24 hours or so for signs of stress, but I should think the temperature change should make them happier if any!

I too float mine in a bag, but I only float mine for 15 minutes then I poke holes in the bag and then let it float for another 15 minutes before I release the axolotl into the tank.

thanks guys =)

when you bought your axies how far was your trip to bring them home?

the place i may get mine from will be a at least a 30 mintue drive and its starting to get really hot over here.

i was thinking maybe i could take an esky with ice and water and but the bag in that for the trip home.

any thoughts? and if so what temp would you have the esky at when the axie has been in a tank at 26 degrees?

The trip home for me was a little over an hour. As for your trip I would get the esky and put ice water in it, but I would only put just enough ice to make the water cool but not cold. You don't want so big of a temperature fluctuation that it causes stress or even death.

Remember to pack some rags and spare dechlorinated water in a bottle as well just in case of spills. Having the air conditioner on is good as well to prevent overheating in the car. I am happy to go to the shop with you to do a quick health assessment on the axies before you purchase them as well if you like. The University is closed for holidays and i have plenty of time ^_^

I agree float the bag then after ten minutes add some of your tank water and float for another 5 minutes then repeat once more then release into your tank :proud:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back