Illness/Sickness: Sick for about 12 hours

Kib0y

Reaction score
Country
United States
My developmental class is finally done for the semester and my professor gave away the experimental subjects (weeks old, green axolotl) for free, as pets. Here is the situation

I picked up my little guy healthy with a full belly (he was being fed live bryne shrimp) on Monday, December 14th (4 days ago). I put him in a 1 gallon tank with distilled water that I got from the biology department (I know it is distilled because I'm a research student there, so the source is good). I would say the little guy is roughly an inch in length. He was doing fine. I had a little problem trying to feed him small chunks of steak, so I switched him to frozen blood worms on Wednesday because it was clear he was hungry, just afraid of the tweezers I was using to try and feed him. He ate fine on Wednesday. I went to feed him yesterday and he seemed to be eating fine but I noticed he was snatching at the worms and them splitting them back out. I didn't take any consideration to this as sometimes it is normal, I read. I clean up the tank everytime after feeding as best as possible. The temperature of the water is currently 69 degrees F is stays roughly around that temperature most of the time.

So this morning I noticed the tank was getting a bit cloudy and I don't have a filter for my tank as I'm just trying to grow him to a good size to switch him into a 10 gallon tank with all the proper aeration and filtration. So I went back to my lab at the biology department and switched the old cloudy water out with fresh new distilled water. I changed the entire water supply in the tank, which I know now is a bad thing to do. However, I (and me being an idiot) cleaned out the tank with dish soap (Dawn). I rinsed out the tank three times with tap water and then three more times with distilled water to make sure of no residue before refilling up the tank. I know now that if there are any residues left from cloudiness to just use a paper towel on the edges lol. Anyway, I left him in my lab for roughly two and half hours because I was taking my last final of the semester. He was fine when I left him... I come back to him at the surface of the water with his gills curled up and shorten. I noticed his tail toward the tip was curling as well. He hasn't eaten since.

So today I thought maybe because he was used to being fed on bryne shrimp that I would try and go with that. I bought bryne shrimp to feed him but still no luck. I had my developmental teacher add some water to the tank with ions and minerals and he thought maybe it could be that it the pure water stripped him of the minerals he needs. Still no luck. I am observing him now and he's not moving much, just staying at the surface of the water. I am now seeing a new symptom... and it's been roughly 16 hours since I changed the water. His right arm is kinked inward underneath his body and he had two perfectly fine limbs. He also just keeps rocking back and forth in the water. Earlier he couldn't stay at the bottom of the tank. His tail end would keep rising and he looked like he was doing a head stand and then fall over on his back before readjusting himself, probably just air bubbles. He's very sluggish right now and only responds if I poke him (with tweezers) pretty hard as he doesn't seem startled by them.

Here's the catch though: I got another axolotl (roughly same in size) from the department just as a control (to see if it's the environmental conditions) and he ate the same food I tried to feed the unhealthy axolotl today. He hasn't shown any signs yet of sickness but it's only been roughly 12 hours since I introduced him to the tank. He hasn't been doing anything unusual in the tank but coming up for air a couple times during the day. He is swimming fine and is staying at the bottom of the tank without grabbing any air bubbles when he comes up for air.

Is there anything I should be concerned about for these axolotls (I plan on keeping the newest addition if it is possible)? Is there anything I can do to try and better his health?

Thanks in advance! I hope I was detailed enough to try and get better answers.

There's just a few small details that we'll need before we can properly assess the situation :)

Firstly, what size tank are you using? The size of the tank and the amount of axies in it will determine how frequently the water needs to be changed.

Second, Is the tank cycled? Cycled water has to have been aging in the tank for a minimum of a month, long enough for it to establish a bacterial colony strong enough to naturally dispose of aquatic waste. You mentioned that you had distilled water just put in the tank -- if it's fresh water, it will need 50 - 100% changing daily because there is no cycle to destroy, and waste can build up quickly in a small tank to toxic levels. You should be testing an uncycled tank daily for ammonia and nitrite levels.

Is there any sand or gravel in the bottom of your tank? If not, then that's perfectly fine -- and if so, then what size are the pieces?

I myself am relatively new to this wonderful forum, but I've found that these are the details essential in diagnosing problems with your axolotl. If he's acting unusual, immediately check your water quality ;)

I hope we can help you with your little axies' problems :)

There's just a few small details that we'll need before we can properly assess the situation :)

Firstly, what size tank are you using? The size of the tank and the amount of axies in it will determine how frequently the water needs to be changed.

Second, Is the tank cycled? Cycled water has to have been aging in the tank for a minimum of a month, long enough for it to establish a bacterial colony strong enough to naturally dispose of aquatic waste. You mentioned that you had distilled water just put in the tank -- if it's fresh water, it will need 50 - 100% changing daily because there is no cycle to destroy, and waste can build up quickly in a small tank to toxic levels. You should be testing an uncycled tank daily for ammonia and nitrite levels.

Is there any sand or gravel in the bottom of your tank? If not, then that's perfectly fine -- and if so, then what size are the pieces?

I myself am relatively new to this wonderful forum, but I've found that these are the details essential in diagnosing problems with your axolotl. If he's acting unusual, immediately check your water quality ;)

I hope we can help you with your little axies' problems :)

After viewing the forum a bit longer I see these common details as well lol.

1. The size of the tank is a 1 gallon tank roughly 3/4 of the way full. There are two axies in it currently, both roughly an inch in length. The water has currently been changed fully with distilled water that has been in a holding tank. I cannot be definitive of the age of the water since it was distilled but it is distilled water purified from tap water. (This is research grade water, if that means anything)

2. I cannot determine the water, but I'm assuming it's pure, so no cycling.

3. No sand or gravel because this is a temporary holding tank just for growth until I can put these guys in a 10 gallon comfortably.

4. The water quality I haven't checked (I will probably get supplies tomorrow to do so) but I changed 100% of the water today around 8:30AM. And the unhealthy axie looked like this around 10:30AM with no improvement since (It is 1:23AM at this moment). The second axie that was introduced to this tank, was introduced around 11AM today and is not showing any signs of sickness right now. I don't think it is an quality issue because of the second one is still looking healthy... and the sickness symptoms should've started sooner is retrospect to the rapid symptom change with the first axie. Hopefully...

The distilled water was a big mistake. I think once the axolotl recovers from that it should come around. Go at it slowly. Had you left the axolotl in the dirty water you would have been farther ahead.
Keep cool. Feed lightly. Do small water changes with dechlorinated water the same temp as the water the axy is in. If you can move to a little larger tank with a sponge filter you will be farther ahead.
good luck

Here are my thoughts on the matter.

1 - I would not use dishwashing detergent to scrub the tanks. They would strip off any beneficial bacteria (bioslime) present. They are vital for proper cycling to ensure good water parameters.

2 - Diet wise, best to stick to earthworms, blackworms and pellets as staple. Anything else is at best a treat.

3 - Distilled water was the cause of the problem. Axies require moderately hard water. Presence of minerals, ions/electrolytes are vital for osmoregulation, slime coat production, blood pressure and blood cellular health (white and red cells). Distilled water, being completely free of these minerals and ions will cause the slime coat to be removed, cause severe life threatening electrolyte imbalances, anaemia and even multi-organ failure (kidney, liver, heart, spleen). The axie will also become dehydrated and become very prone to infections because of the associated immunosuppression and absence of a protective skin slime coat barrier. Neurological damage can also occur.

4 - The best way to treat your axie is to immediately give it an amphibian ringers solution bath. You should at the minimum keep the axie submerged in this bath for 2 hours. This will quickly rehydrate the axie and provide some electrolytes. You may further augment therapy by giving the axie calcium gulconate administered directly to the skin. This will provide a quick replenishment of glucose, calcium to at least stabalise the blood glucose level and prevent hypoglycaemic shock. The adsorption is almost immediate due to the transcutaneous absorption properties.

5 - Other supportive therapy includes fridging the axie to prevent secondary infections and to destress the axie. You can also consult a vet to administer an intraperitoneal dose of electrolytes, vitamins and glucose as well.

6 - Dechlorinated tap water is appropriate.

Thank you guys for all your responses. I will be heading to the lab today to make the ringer's solution because neither petstore in my area claims they have anything of such. So I'm not going to bother with them. I found a recipe in the developmental lab of the biology department for amphibian ringer's solution.

I will also be going to the petstore to get dechlorination tablets for water exchange.

Thanks again.

Just a quick update on the situation:

I have made the amphibian ringer's solution and made a bath with some Stree Zyme in it, which is a solution containing live beneficial bacteria. He has been in this bath for almost an hour and has shown vast improvement. He is more responsive, moving on his own a lot more as if he is trying to stretch out his muscles from not using them in days lol.

I haven't gotten him to eat yet but I'll try later tonight to see if I can. I have added some of the ringer's solution to the current tank, where the healthy axie is, along with some Stress Zyme. I'll work on getting a bigger tank here in the next few weeks with a sponge filter at least.

Again thank you for your comments on the situation, you guys saved another one lol

Great job. Nothing makes me happier than someone who heeds my suggestions and treat their axies promptly with success.

Darkmaverick: I am still having trouble getting him to feed. I am starting to see some of his gills starting to grow back and during his time of sickness the tip of his tail fell off, along with the "fin" portion of it the tip. His right arm is still not being used, but the left one he moves around when he swims. I was just wondering how long usually does it take for regeneration to occur and how worried should I be that he is only feeding once a day as oppose to twice a day with the other one? How long do you think it should be until he should be back to "normal" or around there? Normal as in his right arm is functional, tip of tail and gills almost regenerated and eating pretty well again.

(I'm feeding them in small portions to try and save food because right now it's messy to feed these guys in a 1 gallon tank)

Thank you.

Regeneration of the gills and fin, alongside the ability to still feed are good signs. I am not too concerned about the axie feeding once per day as this will pick up as the axie feels better.

To increase the chances of the axie feeding, try offer a variety of food, particularly live food. Wriggly earthworms and blackworms are highly nutritious and the axie consuming a bit of those can already fulfill most if not all of the nutritional requirements. The wriggly movements will stimulate appetite. Offering nutritious novel treats can also entice an axie to feed. I have particular success with bits of prawn and fish. It is best to offer these at dawn or dusk as axies are crepuscular and most actively feeding at those times.

Would you be able to take a photo of the affected limb? Are there any signs of palor, flaking skin or anything unusual about that limb? Is it normal in terms of conformation? Was the axie able to use this limb previously?

Regeneration of the gills and fin, alongside the ability to still feed are good signs. I am not too concerned about the axie feeding once per day as this will pick up as the axie feels better.

To increase the chances of the axie feeding, try offer a variety of food, particularly live food. Wriggly earthworms and blackworms are highly nutritious and the axie consuming a bit of those can already fulfill most if not all of the nutritional requirements. The wriggly movements will stimulate appetite. Offering nutritious novel treats can also entice an axie to feed. I have particular success with bits of prawn and fish. It is best to offer these at dawn or dusk as axies are crepuscular and most actively feeding at those times.

Would you be able to take a photo of the affected limb? Are there any signs of palor, flaking skin or anything unusual about that limb? Is it normal in terms of conformation? Was the axie able to use this limb previously?

He is rarely feeding though. Maybe eating one full blood worm. I offer blood worms in the morning (around 9, 10AM) and brine shrimp in the evening (anywhere from 8-10pm). The healthy axie eats plenty and constantly has a nice red stomach after eating (from being full I assume?). But this unhealthy axie does not have the same belly and is paler than the other one. I went out and bought trout worms but they seems to be a bit to big for even the healthy axie.

I took some photos but you can't really see the limbs because they do not have any pigment. There is no flaking skin and there is no signs of palor. In fact, his arm is kind of stuck at a 45 degree angle. The healthy limb is starting to show signs of pigmentation and is fully functional where the unhealthy limb is starting to show digit formation. Maybe it's just lagged in development to the other?

1221091516a.jpg

1221091516.jpg

1221091514-1.jpg

If there are any other concerns or suggestions you can think of, please let me know. It would be most appreciated.

I hadn't realised the axolotl was so young. Would you be able to offer live food, such as daphnia and blood worm? At this size it will more likely feed if the food is alive .

At this age your axie should regenerate pretty quickly. He doesn't seem massivly underfed and once a day is enough. Its a good sign he's eating even if its not much. Mel

Wow, i haven't realised your axie is still so young as well. I agree with Julia that live food will be the best bet.

As for the limb, it is still forming so i would give it some time to assess its functionality.

Meanwhile, i think the most criticial thing is to make sure the water parameters, temperature and nutrition are well met.

Wow, i haven't realised your axie is still so young as well. I agree with Julia that live food will be the best bet.

As for the limb, it is still forming so i would give it some time to assess its functionality.

Meanwhile, i think the most criticial thing is to make sure the water parameters, temperature and nutrition are well met.

I am raising some live brine shrimp as we speak as daphnia are hard to find in this area, even for the eggs. Water parameters should be good. Although I have these little guys in a 1 gallon tank, half full I do about a 60% water change every night after feeding. I let the tap water sit an entire day with two drops of stress zyme (contains healthy bacteria) and five drops of stress coat (dechlorinator and slime coat replacer) as directed per liter of liquid. Temperature of the tank is always around 63-65 degrees F. I will remain doing the water changes until they reach a bigger size and I can put them in a cycled 10 gallon tank.

Does this sound reasonable?

hi
I would say that the removal of the distilled water and adding the stress zyme was the key. Also i think that darkmaveric is right that particular leg is just taking its time to develop properly.
try looking at www.axolotl.org
this may give you a insight to the conditions needed.
Other than that you are doing a good job by resopnding promptly to people advise.
Well done

brad

Just a suggestion... you can buy live daphnia on-line (just Google it). I am raising baby axies myself, and they just love the daphnia! Also, I have been cutting up frozen bloodworms into teeny pieces, and they go nuts for them! These little guys are still very small (barely 2 weeks old), but they seem to really enjoy the daphnia/frozen blood worm combination.

Best of luck! I know how stressful it can be to have a sick axie. : (

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back