Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Looking to fall in love with some silly salamanders

iamthelorax

Reaction score
Hey friends!

I've been interested in caudatans for quite some time now and I can't wait to start raising some of my own! I've learned so much just reading all the posts from the veterans and I'm looking forward to finding my first axolotl (hopefully from someone here)! If anyone has some bits of wisdom they'd like to share I'm always open!

-Liam

Joost

Reaction score
Welcome!
Be sure what you're doing. It's a infectious virus, once you're infected, there's no way back :D:D:D and you'll be keeping newts forever!!!

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Joost is right, it's very addictive!

It's begining to be that time of the year when the axolotls in the US are breeding. You might want to post a wanted ad in that section to see if you can't get something lined up for when the offspring are ready to be shipped. Heck, someone may even have an adult or two they are willing to part with.

CrimsonBlaze

Reaction score
Hey
axolotls arent like fish there rater inteligent az you will find out sune enough and if u spend enough time with them they will be able to do things like tell you when there hungry and come on comand(usualy) like mine can.
And even though most people will tell you they dont like to be touched or played with it all depends on the axie its self as mine likes to sit on my hand and get stroked between its gills from time to time.
I hope you enjoy your new pet as much as i do with my imoogi

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1