Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Types of filtration

CrimsonBlaze

Reaction score
my axie imoogi has recently been transfered into a new 75 litre tank , however because i spent all my money on the tank i could not buy a new water filter right away and im pretty sure the filter wasent even adequite for his last tank(30 litre aprox).
It is an elite mini a-130, so assuming its not suffitiant for my tank should i increase the amount witch i syphon the gunk out and add new water to the tank.
i currently do this once or twice a week.
also i have ordered a new filter but due to time of year it probably wont arive till after xmas, it is an aleas xp-07 waterfall type filter for up to 120 litres and aparently does all 3 types of filtration. biological, chemical and mechanical(whatever that means)
will this filter be okay or should i mayb use both in the tank at the same time.

does anyone own one of theese filters and be able to shed some light on how good they are, because i have a feeling it might not be that great due to how cheap it was and as the saying goes , you only get what you pay for.

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
For axolotls, because they create such a mess, you should vacuum out excess food that they don't eat after each feeding. Leaving uneaten food will take a large toll on your water quality..especially if there is no filtration. The filter you are purchasing, aleas xp-07, appears to be a standard hang on tank filter. The only issue with these is they tend to create a lot of water disruption, which isn't good for axolotls. You should try to best to dampen the disturbance made to the water from the filter. Personally I have never heard of that brand of filter, but anything is better than nothing.

CrimsonBlaze

Reaction score
do i still have to syphon every day even it there isnt realy food left in the tank.
He eats everything i give him witin seconds of entering his tank
and he does have filtration atm, 2 filters infact but both of them are for tanks a fration of the size to what they are in now( i think ones for a 8 litre tank and the other maybe 10 - 20.
i have currently got one each end of the tank

Niall W

Reaction score
Once the filter's are set up, and the tank's cycled then a water change ever week - three weeks ish (depending on ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels) of around 20% is still needed as with any other tank whether it has fish or caudates in :) I take it you have a testing kit for these?

But not every day, no :happy: Just remove any uneaten food quickly - easiest way is with a turkey baster - as it'll rot quickly producing ammonia etc

CrimsonBlaze

Reaction score
Hey thanx for the advice allthough i dont know what cycling is, i have seen threads about it and will read them shortly
also no i do not have a testing kit as i can not afford one- unfortunately the axie was a present so i wasnt able to get set up for it at all before hand, infact he was even in a tiny 6 litre tank for the first few days as that was the only tank i had at the time .
does anyone know of any way to do the nitrate test other than buying it?
any ideas would really be apreciated

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
If you have access to an aquarium shop nearby, you can bring a sample of your tank water for testing. Some places charge a small fee while other places may do it free. This is not a long term solution though, and i do recommend you invest in a kit. You can always stagger out your purchases, starting with the test for ammonia and nitrites, and then later nitrates and anything else.

Niall W

Reaction score
Yes mate, reiterating what Darkmaverick said, to be honest test kits are a must.

You can't see the toxins in the water, so you need to test for them and do a water change as soon as they start creeping. Without them you may only notice when it's too late and your axie is seriously ill - or at worst, dead.

A test kit for Ammonia, Nitrite and nitrate is only around £20 english, so perhaps $27AUS possibly?

CYCLING:
If you haven't read up on this yet, i'll quickly explain :happy:
Basically, your filter needs to build up a culture of useful bacteria within the filtration medium as well as other ornaments etc to break down Ammonia into nitrite, nitrite then into nitrate from your axie's poo :p (Ammonia --> Nitrite --> Nitrate - each more toxic than the next).
When you first set up a tank your filter has no beneficial bacteria and as such needs some time (can be 2 - 4 weeks) to build this.

CrimsonBlaze

Reaction score
Hey thanx you guys for the info although i really cant aford a testing kit atm as i just lost my job and the cheapest one i could find was 40 Nz$ .
I had no idea you could get water tested at a pet store though and actually i live about 3 mins drive from 1 and personaly know the head of the fish department there so hopefully i can get it done for free
and about the cycling thing i think its a bit late for that as the filter has been in with my axie ever since i got him about 6 weeks ago

melfly

Reaction score
If you are cycling with the axolotl in the tank you need to know what the water chemistry is. I would recommend takin a sample asap to your local aquarium. And start saving up for a test kit. Mel

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1