Question: How many will fit...?

emeraldd

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Im getting a 65L (17 gallons) tank in January. How many axolotls will fit in it?

What are the measurements? Please

Hi,

My tank is 90cm long and holds 185 litres.

I believe the its is at least 45cm deep

I am wanting to know how many i can hold, Some people say only two where others will say more.

For the 65 Liter tank..I would recommend 1 axolotl, 2 tops. The general rule is 1 axie per 10 gallons. However, for the 185L tank, that must be a very tall tank to only be 90cm long. You sure it's only 90 cm long?

For the 65 Liter tank..I would recommend 1 axolotl, 2 tops. The general rule is 1 axie per 10 gallons. However, for the 185L tank, that must be a very tall tank to only be 90cm long. You sure it's only 90 cm long?

Yeah i echo this.

65 litres should hold one axie very happily, 2 would be ok, though possibly a little cramped.

Kayla:
My fish tank on the landing is 100cm long and only 100L, do you mean inches?

If it is only 90cm long, then i'd recommend only 2 axies (though what is the width?), as they don't swim around as such like fish, it's mainly the floor space you need to take into account as opposed to the water volume :happy:

I think it depends on whether you want your axie's to have the luxury of lots of room ... Or 3+ axies.

Im not 100% sure on the other measurements. Its is fairly tall.
I'll attach a picture.

I would want them to be comfortable. As long as two can fit in i'm happy

Attachments

• P191209_12.57.JPG
    P191209_12.57.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 256
  • P201209_23.22.JPG
    P201209_23.22.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 217
  • P201209_23.22[01].JPG
    P201209_23.22[01].JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 266
Im not 100% sure on the other measurements. Its is fairly tall.
I'll attach a picture.

I would want them to be comfortable. As long as two can fit in i'm happy

Looks good for 2 Axies. Three Axies would be streching the limits a bit. You need more hides for them. I would add 2 flower pot hides one at either end of the tank.

Maybe a couple more plants too?

I've found that you can make effective and natural looking hides with rock as opposed to bought caves :) though it depends whether you want aesthetics or practicality :p Slate's a real easy rock to use.

Though it looks like you've got everything sorted, and apart from a few more hides, it's all done :happy:

thanks.

The length of my tank is 90cm and the width is 45cm and holds 160 litres, sorry my mistake.

Yeah i a plan on getting a few more plants this week. My dad keeps saying that i dont want to put too much in there. I guess he doesnt understand that they like to hide.

And the way i see it if there hiding next to plant instead of in a hidey hole than i still get to see them.

nice looking tank, it looks like you've used sand as a flooring (good choice), whatever you do dont use gravel, like i stupidly did, as the axies can (and proberly will) eat it causing huge impaction problems, luckily ,mine passed the gravel fine and has suffered no ill-affects. Needless to say i have now removed the gravel and am going to add decorative glass beads as a flooring like ive seen in some fish tank setups

I just want to say, be careful of glass beads too, you'll be surprised what will fit in your axolotls mouth!

Thanks guys :wacko: Sorry for late-ish reply. I don't know what the measurements are, but I when i get the tank I will most likely post again, just to check :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back