Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: FBN eggs hatching

firefly

Reaction score
Hi. I'm new to keeping FBNs. I rec'd 5 eggs Thursday last from a breeder on RFUK. Today I looked & one seemed to be going a whitish colour. Thinking it could be going mouldy I thought I'd transfer it to another container on its own for a few days just to see. As I lifted the leaf out of the water the little larvae slipped out of the sac & fell back into original container. It's wriggling now and again but I can't see any white line (yolk) on its tummy so I'm worried now in case it will starve?

Any advice/help would be appreciated. Thanks :(

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
I don't think you have to worry about it starving just yet. You could try putting alittle bit of live food in with it but I don't think it'd eat anyways for at least another day or two.

vistajpdf

Reaction score
Do you think you ripped the egg to cause it to hatch prematurely? I had that happen while trying to clip leaves to ship the eggs. One died a few days later, but the other was fine. The yolk sac is even visible in the egg depending on how the larva is lying. Get some live Daphnia ready and it should eat (will look like it's hopping) in a couple of days.

Good luck,
Dana

firefly

Reaction score
No I don't think so - I had the stem of the leaf in tweezers, and it was as the leaf was pulled out of the water that the little guy just fell back into the container. He/she's still alive and has a yolk stripe on its tum. The egg sac is now invisible on the leaf. The others that are still in their egg sacs all have a stripe on their tums. Do you think they will hatch soon ?? I have some daphnia ready and some of them are tiny little fleas.

vistajpdf

Reaction score
When they're close to hatching, you can see their well-formed bodies in the egg sacs and, depending on their orientation in there, you can sometimes see the yolk strip. You can also see them wriggling on occasion. My female laid for MONTHS, so I had some morphing while others were still being laid. If your larvae are well-formed, I'd bet they're all about the same age and they will soon emerge. Do frequent water changes for the larvae.

Good luck - seems like you're on the right track!
Dana

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1