Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Limp back legs?

tarita2004

Reaction score
:confused::( i have a barred tiger salamander that is approx. 10yrs old. Late last night i fed him and did not hear his usual commotion of noise and etc. because when i normally feed him he comes out of his cave and starts hunting. so i got back up i looked in at him and he was in fact hunting, 100% full appetite, but he's dragging his back legs?!?!

I'm not sure why or how or what?

Solution? help?

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think you have to wait and watch. Sometimes they will drag their back legs momentarily if they are in the process of shedding or pooping. But if it persists, it could be something more serious.

tarita2004

Reaction score
Ya, i'm not sure, it's still the same after a whole day...

it looks almost as if his feet are facing "up" not "down" or they're so relaxed it appears they're twisted?

:( i dunno

herpvet

Veterinarian
Reaction score
:confused::( i have a barred tiger salamander that is approx. 10yrs old. Late last night i fed him and did not hear his usual commotion of noise and etc. because when i normally feed him he comes out of his cave and starts hunting. so i got back up i looked in at him and he was in fact hunting, 100% full appetite, but he's dragging his back legs?!?!

I'm not sure why or how or what?

Solution? help?

Hello,

If it's still like that or worse in 24 hrs, then I would certainly recommend taking him to a vet for a proper evaluation. There are many possible causes for such a problem, which veterinary investigation might be able to rule in or out.

I would also advise perhaps posting more details of your setup and husbandry (especially, as mentioned, diet and any supplementation) here, so some of the experienced keepers here can help you evaluate it for possible sources of problems. But a vet visit should give the best chance of a definitive diagnosis.

Hope this helps, and you can get him sorted out.

Bruce.

tarita2004

Reaction score
i called a local vet whom said i could bring him in but his guess is MBD

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1