Question: More than one 20-30% water change a day?

Samyueruchan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.

My tank is currently cycling with my axolotl in there. S/he seems to be happy and doing well. I'm just slightly worried about my consistently high nitrite. I've never been able to get a single trace of ammonia in my tests but there is always a small amount of nitrite, usually just about 0.3mg. Over the last few days, however, the nitrite has been about 0.8mg despite my 20-30% water changes every day.

I'm worried about the high nitrite but my axolotl doesn't seem to be too fond of all the disturbances in the water when it comes to tank maintenance time. Also, the water out of the tap is very cold at the moment and the temperature of the water does drop a degree or two when I change it. I wouldn't want to let the water change too quickly. Would it be advisable to just carry on as I am? Or should I try and up the volume or frequency of my water changes?

Last edited:
The water changes may actually be being detrimental to the production of useful bacteria in your filter, thus lengthening the cycling process and amount of time you have to carry on with the changes.

I'm no expert, so wait for one of the more experienced guys to give their wisdom, but i'd maybe advise on fridging your axie until the tank has fully cycled if you think the excessive water changes are stressing it a lot. Though i do know some of the guys put their axie's straight in and cycle with them in, doing daily changes until cycled :happy:

There are two main populations of beneficial bacteria in a well cycled tank. The first group converts ammonia to nitrites and the second group converts nitrites to nitrates.

This first group of bacteria normally gets established faster and i suspect in your scenario, this is the case. Your tank is well underway with the cycling and able to effectively convert ammonia to nitrites as evident by the 0 ammonia and traces of nitrites.

It would not be long before the second population of bacteria gets established enough to effectively convert nitrites to nitrates.

If you have axies in the tank, it is a good idea to monitor water parameters like you are currently doing and perform small water changes regularly.

As long as you are using dechlorinated water and keeping good aeration in the tank, the majority of bacteria will colonise tank surfaces, substrate and ornaments. Although a small number will exist freely in the water, the small water changes would not affect that too much.

All it takes now is patience and nature will do the rest.

If your worried about stressing out your axie with water changes do them slowly with airline tubeing. This is how we use to bring our just delivered saltwater fish up to temp and ajust them to their new water conditions at the store. And this is how I add water to my axie tanks after large water changes.

Thank you very much. I am familiar with the biology behind the cycling process, however I had simply never done it before. I am pleased that the Nitrosomonas culture is doing so well and I have a small amount of nitrates that are steadily increasing so I guess that Nitrobacter must be well on their well as well.

I am changing 20-30% of water every day and the nitrites are remaining relatively high. I know that the cycle will help with this soon, but will nitrites of around 0.8mg upset my axolotl in the mean time?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back