Can I feed raw shrimp as a staple food?

Turbosaurus

Reaction score
Country
United States
For some reason my dogs think fish food pellets are DELICIOUS and will steal the cans of food any time I accidentally place it low enough they can get it- which is anywhere shy of shoulder hight.

I'd prefer not to feed earthworms- its a girlie creepy crawlie thing-

Most recently when the dogs devoured my last can of pellets I defrosted a shrimp - you know, the kind we eat, removed the shell, cut it up and my axies seemed to love it. Can I feed them shrimp as a staple? their primary food? I only have to defrost one at a time, pound for pound they are much cheaper than bloodworms, and I always have them in the freezer- where the dogs can't reach them. It would be ideal for me, if its good for the axies.

As a staple it would not be at all suitable. Earthworms are by far the best and good quality pellets . I feed my guys prawn only now and then .

As a staple it would not be at all suitable. Earthworms are by far the best and good quality pellets . I feed my guys prawn only now and then .

Why do you say it is not suitable? Is there something in the form of nutrion you think it is missing? You can add supplements to it.

I use market shrimp as a staple for many of my animals and all are perfectly healthy. I also know of many others who feed animals worth thousands market shrimp as a staple. But if your only concern is your dogs getting to your pellets then why dont you keep them in the refrig/ or a cabinet? I keep my pellets in the fridge anyway.

Julia is a very trusted friend and has a consistent track record in dishing out accurate invaluable advice. She is absolutely right that earthworms, blackworms or pellets are the best staple food source for axies. Frozen bloodworms, shrimp meat, fish meat and other insects or meat sources are only suitable as very occasional treats. I can attest that her advice here on the forums are always helpful.

Different species of animals have different nutritional requirements. The enzymes they produce for digestion, the type of alimentary tract, the type of intestinal flora, coupled with physiological specificities like type of vitamins they can produce endgenously or not are what makes certain food sources the ideal staple or not.

Shrimp meat alone does not have all the essential vitamins and minerals that an axie requires. Have a look at these links.

Caudata Culture Articles - Foods
Caudata Culture Articles - Nutritional Values
Caudata Culture Articles - Worms

If you feed a high quality diet comprising of correct staple food types and supplement with occasional treats, there is no necessity for supplements of the commercial kind. In fact supplements may be counterproductive. It is best to derive nutrition from natural sources.

I am currently using Axolotl Master brand pellets for my axies.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back