Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Aip pumps/stone

kaylalouise

Reaction score
Hi,

As you may know i have just set up my tank and am wondering if i require and air pump or air stone for my tank?

At the moment i have no source of air going into the water.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You need at least an air stone, if not a filter as well. Some of my tanks have both, and some have just an air stone. But all of them have at least an air stone.

kaylalouise

Reaction score
My tank has a filter and i have been running that for the last two days before starting the cycling process.

So i need an air stone?

I have a large tank , 90 cm length and 4 width (160Lirtes). What size should i buy?

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I have an airstone in my tank, but I do not have it on very often. but when it is I have one axolotl who loves to lie in it.

kaylalouise

Reaction score
Haha thats so cute =)

Do you need one to keep axolotls or can they just get oxygen from the air as my tanks hood has slits in it?

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I personally don't think that you have to have one, as long as you have a filter that disturbs the water . Since I have moved my guys haven't had theirs ...but now you have reminded me I shall find it for them :rolleyes:

kaylalouise

Reaction score
okay.
Are there signs i should look for to see if i need more oxygen in my tank for my axolotl?

Kerry1968

Reaction score
I believe as long as your filter slightly agitates the surface of the water there should be plenty enough oxygen for your axolotl. If the axie is gulping at the surface a lot it might be a sign of lower oxygen levels, but to be honest I've not really heard of this much, it more often happens with an axie with badly damaged gills.

Axolotls actually get oxygen in three ways - through their skin, their gills and they also have rudimentary lungs wich is why they gulp at the surface, so I wouldn't worry too much.

One more thing, warmer water has less oxygen in it than cooler water, so another reason to keep the water cool!

melfly

Reaction score
Hi as said above an air stone is not needed. You may spend money gettin one for your axie to hate it. I dont have air stones in with mine just filters. Mel

kaylalouise

Reaction score
okay thank you =)

I haven't actually got a thermometer at the moment. well i do but it doesnt go below 18 degrees so i will buy one tomorrow when purchasing my plants.

the water is cool to touch at the moment and i hav a chiller however i have not used this yet.

ashie

Reaction score
I don't use one, But I have a good filter system and live plants

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!