Fire belly newt compatibility question?

fbn

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, today I purchased a fire belly newt. I have one that is around 10 months old (or how long I have had him). Anyways, as you know the fire belly newts that are just bought are very small. I'm just wondering if the bigger will bully the smaller? They are in a ten gallon tank with a filter and plenty of land. Thanks a lot!

Pet-shop bought Cynops orientalis are all WC and adult/subadult.
As long as there isn´t a big difference in size, there shouldn´t be a problem. Even with much smaller juveniles, they are not an agressive species.
Before you even think about putting them together, though, remember to quarantine the new newt. Quarantine is very important!!

I also would like to say that land areas are a waste of space for this species. Adults can be kept 100% aquatic year-round with just a piece of floating cork bark as an emergency terrestrial area.
I suspect that if you have a big land area, and being a 10gallon which is pretty much the minimum volume recomended, the water area must be small. That´s bad cause small water volumes polute easily and are susceptible to temperature changes. For the proper caring of the two newts you will need the 10 gallon filled with water.

Also, watch out for the filter. They do not like strong currents. If you follow my advice and dedicate all the volume to water, you may think about not using a filter.

The filter is a corner filter. It does not create a current. The water level is pretty high. I do not have much land. I have a floating turtle dock and some live bamboo. I vacuum the water and take around 25% of ther water out weekly. Is that okay? Thanks a lot! And just to let you know I have done research on the newts! It may not sound like, but I definitely have!! Thanks again! Greatly appreciated!

Oh i see, i just imagined something different by the description and thought i´d mention it just in case.
Your set up sounds ok, although i would strongly advice that you get more live plants, they love them!

Thanks a lot! I actually just bought some java moss last week. I have that in my tropical fish tank. When it grows I am planning on putting it in with my newts. Thanks again!

Hmm I had never thought about quaranting! Stupid me! I do not have another tank up and running. The only other tank I have is a 1.75 gallon tank. It would have to cycle, though. So, that would be a bad idea right?

Hello fbn,
I see that you have studied the lesson well! :D
I just want some advice, do not buy newts in petshops, animals are all wc. If you buy these to promote a business in china! :D I am sure that here in the forum can you feed cb much more healthy! ;)

cheers

Trust me Luiswarrior I would definitely NOT support them if I had any other options! I have checked the other petstores and this is the only store, except one that is around 2 hours away (and they still haven't emailed me back saying wheather they are wc or bred). Superpetz (where I get my newts) have sick\dead newts every time I look. It's very pathetic. I think most animals should have to be bred, not wild caught! Thanks for all of your help!

Hmm I had never thought about quaranting! Stupid me! I do not have another tank up and running. The only other tank I have is a 1.75 gallon tank. It would have to cycle, though. So, that would be a bad idea right?

This is actually a good size tank for quarantining. It's small and allows you to do 100% daily water changes which means the newts will stay in optimal water conditions, which in turn gives the newts a fighting chance at fighting off any disease or infections that may be present.

Should you quarantine even if there are no obvious signs of diseases and the newt is very active? Just wondering :). Thanks!

Definitely YES.
Quarantine is always a must.

I understand that you think petshops are your only chance, but for future reference you can find CB Cynops orientalis in this forum...hell, some people even give them away for free!! I know of at least two people you could have bought CB newts from. If we consider other species, the list of breeders is huge.

Well, I didn't know that they sold newts before I just bought this one last night. Also, after someone mentioned it I looked and they didn't have any that I saw.

There are always those who have something, just say your thing! :talker:

Oh, another question is, do they eat dried bloodworms? Thanks!

you should just try it. They have to get used to non living food. Be sure you will get rid of the food if it's not be eaten after a few hours, or it will pollute the water very much.

Freeze-dried foods are not very good.
Try frozen bloodworms instead, they love them and they are much better.

Yes, I was just wondering about the dried bloodworms, because they are cheaper and if the newts do not like them I can give it to my fish and frog. Also, do any of you ever feed your fire bellies shrimp pellets? I dropped a pellet (sinking) beside the fire belly that hasn't eaten (his name is Trigg). I didn't watch him for long, but after I left nad returned I saw no signs of the pellet. Also, since the pellets break down very fast I tried looking beside the rock the pellet was on, but did not see any remains. Hopefully he did eat it! Should I keep giving the shrimp pellets? I have a lot of them for my fish, so this would be great if this works. Thanks!

Stick with frozen blood worms, I tryed dryed ones and all six of my firebellys showed no interest in them

My guess is that the shrimp pellets will contain plant matter, which makes them unsuitable.
Instead on focussing in processed foods, i would very strongly advice you to go for the more natural types of food, particularly earthworms (insist, they are the best, one rejection means nothing xD), small slugs, small crickets, blackworms....
You can find lots of information on what´s suitable and what´s not in the Food section of this forum.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back