Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What's the best food for fire belly newts?

fbn

Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering what in your opinion is the best foods for a FB newt? Thanks!

Lusiwarrior

Reaction score
Earthworms without doubt! However not only subject to a type of food, it is advisable to have a varied diet! I for one am giving to my frozen bloodworms, earthworms and once in a while as an appetizer fly larva, because the latter are very rich in fat!

Joost

Reaction score
More than 50% of my newts' diet is earthworms. Chopped if it's too large. Besides that: bloodworms, tubifex worms, daphnia, artemia, and some more...

fbn

Reaction score
Thanks! Next question: What is the best dried food. (I know that they are not as healthy) Thanks!

Lusiwarrior

Reaction score
Do not give it to animals! My take on freeze-dried bloodworms, but only gave them one time because I did finish the food and there was nothing! With so much food from frozen bloodworms, daphnia, artemia to white worms. Not to mention the eaten alive! Do not know why you insist on it!
cheers

fbn

Reaction score
Well, this is a site to gain knowledge. This is all I am trying to do. That is why I ask these questions :). Thanks!

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I understand pellets and freeze-dried foods are very practical for you, but as i already told you those are not ideal foods (in fact some are very poor). However, you need to have the animal´s health and well-being in mind, not your own convenience. Lusiwarrior´s concern comes from the fact that you know that those foods are not at all the best, and yet you insist on using them, it was just amiable concern.
Use a staple of earthworms....nothing beats those. The other foods i mentioned and the ones recommended here are also good choices for a varied, healthy diet.

fbn

Reaction score
I very muchly care for my fbn's health. I had asked if freeze dried bloodworms are good (which was no), but I know there are many other foods you can get freeze dried. I was wondering if any of the other types are good for a fbn, that is why I asked. Also, since it is winter here where I live, I cannot get worms for a couple months. So, what do I do?

frequenc

Reaction score
FBN, if there are any bait shops near you or even a Bass Pro Shop you can purchase worms there that will do the job. Otherwise you can try ordering from some online shops something like Earthworms & Earth worm Castings . I personally haven't ordered from them but I know people in the US that have and they are good quality.

fbn

Reaction score
What types of live foods would be a good recommendation for culturing?

frequenc

Reaction score
You can easily start your own earthworm culture, they are relatively easy to maintain and can do quite well. I personally have a scud culture as well as other fresh water shrimp cultures going. Sometimes I'll throw in the odd adult brine shrimp because my FBN loves them. However, I mainly feed earthworms and frozen blood worm cubes but I don't culture the earthworms because it's easy for me to just buy them.

Lusiwarrior

Reaction score
Hi Azhael,
The only frozen food I give to my newts are bloodworms, the same as all the people give! Also only give them live food! Anyway thanks for the advice!
Fbn sorry if my reply sounded a bit arrogant, I have to work fifteen hours straight was full of sleep! :D Well as I said in my presentation I'm just here to give and receive knowledge! ;) So here goes. As said frequenc the culture easier to maintain is that the earthworms ! Just a plastic box with 20cm by 10cm take a little more. You fill with peat and you can by a little clay to mine! Shopping around a dozen worms and ready! Do a few holes in the lid to air! It keeps the peat damp, not wet! Then to the food you give them scraps of food, preferably vegetables and fruits. I give unto my fruit peelings, rabbit poop, eggshell and kornflakes. Get to work and good luck! :cool:

fbn

Reaction score
Okay, so I wouldn't have to add water to the soil? Also, does it need to be peat or can it be like potting soil? Thanks you have been most helpful!

Lusiwarrior

Reaction score
The earthworms in the wild feed on the organic compounds present in forest litter! What is peat but even so! But to those who mix peat with potting soil, no problem! However, if you put just try to land that is a land without chemicals and preferably with minerals addiction!
The addiction of water peat is an excellent absorbent and it makes it very humid for a long time! If you use peat, plunging the amount that you will use in water and then squeeze out the excess up! When you combine it with the peat land, does the same and then mix! If you put potting soil so it is good that you are ever to control the humidity, because water evaporates more quickly! To keep the humidity just sprinkle with a watering can.

I have helped!

fbn

Reaction score
Okay, thanks! do worms breed quickly? Also, will they stink? Thanks!

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you google for "vermiculture" or "worm farm" you will find lots of info. There are also some threads with info in the Live Foods area of this forum. Since peat moss is acidic, it is helpful to add some crushed egg shells.

Yes, they breed quickly, but to get them to the point where you can start harvesting might take 3-6 months (on the longer end if they are kept cold in winter). They do not smell, as long as you are careful not to add too much food. Yes, they sink:)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!