Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Julia
I have been slowely preparing their new tank as their current one is looking a little small. Their current set up has soil as a substrate, dried leaves a couple of hides ( one piece of a plant pot and a piece of bark) and a water dish with approx an inch depth of water. I was aiming to use a similar set up in their next home. Lately however the 2 largest ones have taken to lounging in the water, I have never seen them fully submerged. These morphed approx 6 months ago and are close to 3 inches long, they dine nightly on chopped earthworm and occasionally and small woodlice that I find. The temperature is ranging from 12 degrees at night to occasionally 19 degrees day time. Looking at these two, their tails are looking a little flatter. Would these signs be indicating that I need to make their new tank more water based? ( typically the one I was aiming to use is one that sprung a leak when we moved)

if the tank is large enough, you can make a 50/50 setup, with 6-7 cm of water. It can take a while, before they are full aquatic, but in this case they can choose. Marmoratus normally goes full aquatic after more than a year.

Juveniles of that size can be kept fully aquatic.
Some hobbyists believe this is detrimental to the long-term health of the animals, so a safer option would be to provide both possibilities and let them choose.
You can also keep them terrestrial and deny them the possibility of going to water until they are clearly adult (in nature they appear to wait until adulthood for their first journey to the pools).

Sorry, couldn't resist an update! The largest now is just over 3 inches, which surprised me. Since its been cooler they haven't fed as much, however tonight one ate a worm which seemed to be equal in length...we are still in a state of mild shock.

Attachments

• P1010975.jpg
    P1010975.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 417
  • P1010968.jpg
    P1010968.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 406
  • P1010966.jpg
    P1010966.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 1,868
They look so nice :)
They are absolute pigs, they sometimes surprised me with how big a prey they could tackle.

It is now a year since these hatched, I have really enjoyed keeping them. I currently keep them on soil with a coconut cave, dry leaves and a broken piece of plant pot. They also have a sunken bowl of water that they occasionally visit, it has been a long time since I have seen any in the water, I seem to only catch them as they leave. I am unsure which direction to go with them now. Eva (Evut) has one of their siblings that is being gently moved into a water set up.
They are fed alternate days chopped earthworm and now the weather has improved they are also getting small slugs and woodlice etc.
I noticed the other day that I appear to have both sexes..just have no idea which combination. I am sure it will become apparent to me at some point.
Needless to say there are pictures .. the last one was hell bent on not showing you the necessary area for sexing.

Attachments

• P1020135.jpg
    P1020135.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 232
  • P1020137.jpg
    P1020137.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 240
  • P1020140.jpg
    P1020140.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 248
  • P1020141.jpg
    P1020141.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 246
  • P1020147.jpg
    P1020147.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 262
Hi Julia, great to see my baby newt's brothers and sisters! My newt is a male, I think. He is already spending most of his time in water and I also feed him there now. He seems comfortable so I will start increasing the water level. We definitely get to see him more now that he's not hiding in his coconut house all the time.
By the way we have also been amazed/disgusted by the size of worms he can eat... the other day I actually worried he was going to be sick after eating an anaconda-size one but he just shed his tight old skin and was ok :)

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back