Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Skin maybe peeling? sexual maturity?

Sapien

Reaction score
My white axxie Zuma might have a skin problem I'm not too sure...
She didn't seem to be eating much at all, couldn't get her to eat pellets or blood worm.
I threw some small feeder fish in there and she still didn't seem to be eating yet her weight was still the same. Since then I have learned that she likes it when I break the flesh of a feeder fish and then wiggle it infront of her nose. She's eaten a few the other day and seems happy.
But I was fixing the rain tube that I made out of an old syphon hose. While doing so I had my hand in the water a little and she swam by, just brushing my skin, when I was wiping the water off I noticed my hand was rough and sticky where she had touched me...I wasn't sure if it was her or if I had missed a spot while washing my hands before I entered the water. I lightly touched her again and then rubbed my fingers together and it was the same rough sticky feeling...

Question: Is this normal or is she not well?

I can touch Orion (my darker smaller axxie) and this doesn't happen...
Oh And I think Zuma has come into sexual maturity, her toes are dark black and her cloacal region is a little standing out, but I've been told she's too small still to have reached it? She's only about 16cms (6.5 inches)

big a little a

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
My white axxie Zuma might have a skin problem I'm not too sure...
She didn't seem to be eating much at all, couldn't get her to eat pellets or blood worm.
I threw some small feeder fish in there and she still didn't seem to be eating yet her weight was still the same. Since then I have learned that she likes it when I break the flesh of a feeder fish and then wiggle it infront of her nose. She's eaten a few the other day and seems happy.
But I was fixing the rain tube that I made out of an old syphon hose. While doing so I had my hand in the water a little and she swam by, just brushing my skin, when I was wiping the water off I noticed my hand was rough and sticky where she had touched me...I wasn't sure if it was her or if I had missed a spot while washing my hands before I entered the water. I lightly touched her again and then rubbed my fingers together and it was the same rough sticky feeling...

Question: Is this normal or is she not well?

I can touch Orion (my darker smaller axxie) and this doesn't happen...
Oh And I think Zuma has come into sexual maturity, her toes are dark black and her cloacal region is a little standing out, but I've been told she's too small still to have reached it? She's only about 16cms (6.5 inches)

Ok, will try and split this up into bullet points, as there were a few questions...

* Feeding wise, it sounds like your axie likes to see her food wiggling in front of her - this is how most axies prefer it and another reason why live earthworms (nightcrawlers) are the best (and most nutricious) food you can offer. If you can start offering her these as a staple part of her diet, it is likely that you will see an increase in her consumation.

* In regards to her skin, can you see any visual signs of peeling/fungus, etc? Because your axie will have a natural slimy coating - when I have handled mine in the past, I have always had to wash my hands afterwards. Please note that you should avoid handling your axie unless it is strictly neccessary as that slimy coating is important to your little axolotl and by handling, you can rub some of it off.

* Sexual maturity is not specifically based on size - depending on factors, ie, conditions in which they are kept, food they are fed, sometimes just random chance, etc, axies grow at different paces - your axie may well be nearly fully grown! How old is she?

Zoe

Sapien

Reaction score
1st: I've been trying to find a live earthworm supply but I am having alot of trouble, Found sources of course but some can't ship, some wont take direct deposit. Am trying my best though, short of digging up my mothers backyard. (which I can't do, if she yells at the dog for doing it, I don't think I'm very safe :p)

2nd: Zuma's skin turned a little pinker when I touched her for the second time, I don't ever handle them, I don't like slimy stuff :p
She had a little pimple like sore a few days ago, but it went away a day later. I'm guessing this slimy coating is self-produced by them as a defence mechanism? A slimy escape from a predator?

3rd: I don't know how old she is. The store didn't even know, they were a little less informed than I was. I have only had the two of them for two weeks now. :)
Thank you for your help :)

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Firstly ensure that water parameters and temperture are fine. Test for ammonia, nitrite, nitrates. Water temperature should not exceed 20 degrees for prolonged periods.

Are you able to provide any photos?

If it is just regular skin shedding, tea baths will be useful. It is best to verify the condition first before proceeding to the next step though.

Sapien

Reaction score
Firstly ensure that water parameters and temperture are fine. Test for ammonia, nitrite, nitrates. Water temperature should not exceed 20 degrees for prolonged periods.

Are you able to provide any photos?

If it is just regular skin shedding, tea baths will be useful. It is best to verify the condition first before proceeding to the next step though.

You cannot actually see the skin coming off, she just turns a little red/pinkish.

Temp: is usually around 22 degrees, in a room with no sun (reflective cover on window) aircon always on. (temp in weather at the moment is sitting about 35-40, so I really am keeping it quite cool in my room (I hate Australian summer in Q.L.D )and yes I'm saving up for a chiller)
All parameters except for temp are within normal levels.

Can you explain about tea baths also please?

Last edited:

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I really don't think there really is a problem. You are monitoring the tank environment fine and doing all the steps you can. I think the inappetance is attributed to the temperature but it should improve as the weather cools.

White axies do normally turn pink/reddish especially after activity. The superficial capillaries near the skin surface gets perfused with blood lending the pink/reddish hue to the translucent white skin. The only problem arise if you see permanent blood spots appearing on the skin. That is not normal and warrants further investigation.

It is not advisable to touch axie skin. Some axies are very sensitive and touching them can trigger an allergic reaction. Furthermore, the bacteria on our skin is different to axies environment and touching them can seed an infection as well as abrade the skin surface and remove the protective slime layer. Axies can also carry unique bacteria that are capable of causing a zoonotic infection in you as well so its best to handle axies with a tub to scoop them out or at least with a net.

On another note, did you quarantine the feeder fish from before? Fish can carry pathogens that can cause transient infections in axies (resulting in what appears to be white pimples).

At this stage, i don't even think you need to give the axie a tea bath.

Sapien

Reaction score
I really don't think there really is a problem. You are monitoring the tank environment fine and doing all the steps you can. I think the inappetance is attributed to the temperature but it should improve as the weather cools.

White axies do normally turn pink/reddish especially after activity. The superficial capillaries near the skin surface gets perfused with blood lending the pink/reddish hue to the translucent white skin. The only problem arise if you see permanent blood spots appearing on the skin. That is not normal and warrants further investigation.

It is not advisable to touch axie skin. Some axies are very sensitive and touching them can trigger an allergic reaction. Furthermore, the bacteria on our skin is different to axies environment and touching them can seed an infection as well as abrade the skin surface and remove the protective slime layer. Axies can also carry unique bacteria that are capable of causing a zoonotic infection in you as well so its best to handle axies with a tub to scoop them out or at least with a net.

On another note, did you quarantine the feeder fish from before? Fish can carry pathogens that can cause transient infections in axies (resulting in what appears to be white pimples).

At this stage, i don't even think you need to give the axie a tea bath.

Zuma seems to be fine, shes really active and has no quams. The tempreture has lowered to 19-20 now in the tank, the fan I've got over the tank is keeping the heat exchange from lowering. I will keep an eye on her skin to see if an infection or problem of some sort develops. I try not to touch them at all, but they have learnt that I feed them and swim against my hand, but I wash my hands throughly before doing anything in the tank.

The feeder fish were kept outside in a spare tank of mine, I also seperated the adults and the young from each other, most of the adults died, but all of the young ones survived and they were healthy enough for 15 days.

Thank you for your help :) I'm glad to know the skin was not a huge thing!
<3 rebekah

big a little a

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
Before cleaning my tank/feeding etc, I normally rub a little dechlorinator on my hands, in case my axie does rub up against me - though normally he's not that interested in my hands and just chases the siphon round the tank!

Zoe x

saided

Reaction score
Try looking for nightcrawlers at fishing supply stores in the bait section, they should be in the refrigerated section if they have them

lea

Reaction score
sapien

there is a pet shop near nerang off the main highway 'the pet barn' they have earthworms by buckets

lea

emeraldd

Reaction score
I am interested in learning about the tea bath that was previously mentioned. As a new member to this site and to the world of axolotls, I think I would benefit from knowing what a tea bath is and how it helps. And not only will I benefit, but so would my axolotl if it were to become sick and require this 'tea bath'.

(Lazy? You don't even know me. I'm a hardworking, intelligent girl and i don't appreciate receiving mean remarks. I was, obviously, curious and just looking for an answer... You'll understand what I'm talking about it if you are the person this is aimed at.)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1