What is this?

lexmiller

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
The World's Strongest Scientist
I was in the pet store a few days ago and found an interesting species.

It was orange dorsally and blended to a yellow color on its belly.

It was aquatic and seemed to have small remnants of gills(buds), but they were visibly non-functioning. It was approximatly 15cm long.

I wanted to take a picture but felt weird doing so in a pet shop.

Anyone have any ideas? Where can I search a database of species pictures?

Sounds like it could be Taricha torosa or Taricha granulosa to me. Here is the database of newts.

Okay...it just seemed larger. Maybe my length estimate is off. Also it's mouth resembled that of a larval Tiger salamander...very fish like...of course it's not a Tiger.

It was smooth. Maybe closer to 17 or 18cm. I am going back tomorrow to check it out.

17-18cm isnt unheard of for Taricha, it actually isnt very uncommon. Take pics tomarrow of it.

Taricha easily top 6 inches. 18 cm sounds right in line with a new metamorph.

Are they rather smooth...this one was really sleek.

I am very interested in purchasing this specimen. I just want to make sure I get the set up correct for the correct species.

I will try to sneak a pic at the store...I feel like a spy!!!

Males smooth out in breeding season. They look especially slimy.

And I'm not sure what I was thinking when I said 20cm for a new metamorph. Old age getting to me, I suppose. 20cm is definitely an adult or older juvenile.

Kaysie:

These animals had recently absorbed their gills...you could almost still see where they were, but you had to know what you were looking for.

Otterwoman:

No...they didn't look like those in the picture. This animal was brighter orange dorsally and the faded to a yellowish color on the belly.

It could have been in the area of 15cm to 17cm in length. A very tubular body with strong looking legs. Flat head with eye placement closely resembling that of Ambystomids in larval form.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back