Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: My axololt has gotten fat in the last 2 or 3 days what wrong with it ?

babeey

Reaction score
My axolotl Mario has gotten fat in the last 2 or 3 days could it be sick or pregnant ?:(

Could anyone help i could upload photos

Last edited by a moderator:

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Babeey,

Photos would be great. If you could provide some further detail too, that would give us something to work with - the more information we have, the better we can help you and Mario.

How long have you had Mario?
Does Mario have any tank mates?
Have you checked the water parameters for Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate?
What is the water temperature?
What does Mario's diet consist of?

Welcome to the forum! :happy:

babeey

Reaction score
baabeeey96

babeey

Reaction score
IMGP0454-1.jpg
[/IMG]
IMGP0453.jpg

We have had Mario and Yushie for about a month and a half
yes i have cheeked everything and thats all fine
but the water temp normally its about 24 to 25 but right now its 26
we give Mario a variety of food
Eg.
1 live fish
2 crickets
3 bloodworms and thats all

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Your axie might have bloat. This can be due to infection or organ damage. The body, limbs and throat area all look puffy to me.

Axies do not get 'pregnant'. They can be gravid where they are filled with eggs. In this case, the midsection is wider but will not result in puffiness throughout the entire body and limbs.

The gravel in your tank is not suitable for axies. They can pose an impaction risk. It is best to remove them.

The diet is not suitable as well. Axies should be fed a staple of mainly live earthworms, blackworms and good axie pellets. Anything else is a treat. Excessive feeder fish consumption can also result in a vitamin B deficiency.

The water temperature is too high. Try to keep it below 20 if possible. Elevated temperatures can can stress and illness. Axies get infections more easily at these high temperatures.

babeey

Reaction score
thank you so much
if you have any other tips for us please tell i dont want Mario to die

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
The best option is to bring it to a vet for a shot of antibiotics. Meanwhile fridging will be good to slow down any infection.

babeey

Reaction score
yes but do you know any ing sydeny that will do that to a fish ??

Niall W

Reaction score
Phone around mate.

As you can see DarkMaverick is from Sydney, and he is a vet himself so best talk to him.

But you do know Axie's aren't fish right?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1