Illness/Sickness: Possible Impaction

Stumpy

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Mt Waverley
About a week ago, I got a pair of axies from a local aquarium. (I really haven't been having much luck with them, either) It seems that the smaller leucistic one (Wooper) may be having quite a few tummy troubles.
Wooper swims around frantically, seems to have trouble passing waste and frets at his already diminutive gills. I see him swimming to the surface to gulp at air a lot more frequently than the others too. He is very active in general, even compared to the younger axies. But what's been getting to me lately is that I've noticed a newfound buoyancy and rotundness to his little stomach. I figured it may just be because he pigged out a little on axie pellets last night (for some reason he refuses to eat worms but loves to be hand fed pellets), but I've been finding conspicuous pieces of white petshop gravel in my black sandy tank :/ And quite a bit at that. I'm worried he can't pass anything at all now (you can still see his dinner through his flanks)
Naturally, I did suspect both of the petshop axies, but Gachomp the golden one is very happy, eating earthworms and pellets, just lazing about relaxedly on the sand. He's much broader and bigger than wooper, though much the same length, and he's not prone to frantic antics or floating spells. Also, wooper shouldn't be visibly sexable yet, but he has a small raised lump under his tail that looks a bit ouchy :(
And if my suspicions are correct, rightfully so.
I'll try and post pics later~
Now note: I do know that fridging will help my axie immensely in any sort of dire needs, but I do not have a safe fridge for him to occupy. The family one is fine for storing our own food, but will temperamentally drop below 3*C and frequently freezes over our foodstuffs. In short, it's a potential axie killer. He'll be calmest in the chilled community tank(17-19*C), which is where I have him at the moment -- suspended in a large lunchbox so he can keep cool like them, and also gulp air a little easier.

What I would like to know, is are there any foods that I can feed him that may aid with the passing of the gravel? You know, kind of looking for a laxative effect here.
Tank params: A=>0.25 No2 = 0 No3 = 0 PH = 7.2
I am expecting the ammonia to creep up because I've just added two new axies for whom the cycle will have to accomodate.
I've just separated him to tub of water where he can hopefully relax, but here's my current set up:

120L Tank, 3ftx14"x18" (Filled to about 15")
2 wildtype axies (~10cm ea), 3 guppies, 1 leucistic (~14cm), 1 golden (~16cms), and two golden apple snails, with shells of about 4cm x 3cm. (The snails are sitting it out in the guppy breeding tank at the moment, after Gachomp found he could bite their long feelers and then whip them about the tank rather violently)
I have an internal filter, connected to my chiller with a spray bar for the outlet. There is also a large fake log which can fit all of my axies, plus an empty pot with anubias growing on the rim, as well as a 20cm air curtain at the back of the tank.
Substrate = tahitian moon sand

(Sorry, I always seem to post big, Just don't want to miss details about my lovelies <3)

There is no special food that can help facilitate the passage of ingested gravel. However, steer clear from chitinous treats like mealworms and insects as they can contribute to further constipation. Soft, easily digested food such as worms will be ideal. With small gravel, it would take several weeks before everything is expelled. Some very large pieces may remain lodged and require surgical removal.

That sounds like an awful lot of inhabitants for a 3 foot tank. I have a four foor tank with 3 adult axies and a juvenile and I worry about the space, amount of hiding places and water quality.

With four axies and the guppies do you manage to keep your water chemistry in check OK?

I hope Wooper gets better soon, hopefully he'll pass the gravel in time.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back