Questions about Fridging

hunnybee

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi,

I have posted previously about my axolotl who is not eating and obviously stressed - prob from the fact that I can't get the tank temp below 23C. So I'm going to fridge him but have a couple of questions to ask anyone who fridges their axies.

His tank temp is 24C at the moment. Will putting him in the fridge stress him out too much as the temp falls?

Is a plastic ice-cream container OK to put him in, with the lid on? - he is not very big.

What is the maximum time I should keep him in the fridge, in a dark container? I've read that some people do this over the whole summer. Is that safe to do and healthy for an axolotl?

And lastly, I don't have a thermometer to measure the temp in the fridge. Is it safe enough to use the fridge at the temp that my food is usually stored, as that is where he will be going?

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated too.

Thank so much to those that answered my posts yesterday (esp Jacquie and Darkmaverick)

You really need to get a thermometer to test the temperature of your fridge though, if you don't have one can you borrow one? Or buy one, they're not very dear.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back