Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Deformed Gill

axolotllady

Reaction score
My axolotl has recently developed a growth on one side of his/her gills. Can anyone inform me of what the issue behind this might be and what I can do to help? Also, my other axolotl is rather lethargic. My temp is currently 65 degrees F. Both of them are eating well, however. Thanks for your help. Also, is there anything I can add to the water to improve gill quality? I have live anacharis and a bubble wand that doesnt create too much of a current. My tank is a 55 gallon. I just switched them into it two days ago.

Attachments

• 047.jpg
    047.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 355

Kerry1968

Reaction score
Those are just extra filaments on your axies gills, I have seen them on the forum before and one of my axies has them too. I remember it was said that it wasn't a problem. So don't worry.

As you've recently changed tanks you might find it's the water parameters off that is causing the lethargy in your other axie, but they aren't exactly the most hyper of pets anyway! Just keep an eye on your chemistry and do water changes regularly if needed.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!