Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

When to take out of the fridge?

stranger23

Reaction score
My axie is currently in the fridge after loosing a leg in a feeding accident, she is doing well and the leg is regrowing slowly, i was just wondering when to take the axie out the fridge, do i wait for the leg to completely regrow before putting her back in the tank with her tank mate? i know that they wont have another feeding accident as i feed by tweezers (someone else fed them when the accident happened.) Also i know that there appetite isnt very big when there in the fridge but i can only get my axie to eat about 5/6 worms before she wont take anymore should i be feeding more than just that few worms every 3 days? Thank you for any help

Kerry1968

Reaction score
As long as the leg is healing well with no signs of fungus or infection she should be fine to go back into the tank, but remember to let the container with the axolotl in warm up slowly to room temperature (or whatever your tank temperature is) out of the fridge before you put her back in the tank.

It sounds like your axie is eating enough worms, as long as the head to body ratio is fine I wouldn't worry about how many worms they eat.

Well done on getting your axie back to health!

stranger23

Reaction score
its blood worms not worms sorry didnt notice i missed the blood bit out, the leg isnt completely grown back but there is no sign of infection or anything, should i wait until the leg has grown back fully?

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hi stranger23,

It can take awhile for the leg to regrow completely. As long as the wound is healed over, your axolotl can go back into her regular tank. Just keep an eye on things as she heals.

-Eva

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1